Oh No - My laptop Blue Screen of Death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraiderx

So I tried to turn on my old Dell Inspiron 2200 running windows xp and then this Blue Screen of Death came up.What does it mean and is there anything I can do to fix it? Thank you.

Administrator or technical support group for further Contact your system
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this is the first time you’ve seen this error screen,
Restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
For any windows updates you might need.
If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0X10FE534, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X81C73817)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

I get this message whenever I turn on the computer. And I don't have a windows xp cd. This laptop is old.

I can still boot into safe mode and luckily see all my files.

0xD1 errors are due to faulty drivers or buggy software. Have you installed any new software lately or updated drivers? When that Blue Screen came up did it list a driver as probable cause? An example would be klif.sys or ati2mtag.sys or G550DHD.dll.

The only new software I installed was QuickTime and that was last monday.
No drivers were list. What came up on the screen was what I typed in my first post.

It won't let me uninstall it in safe mode. It says something about not being able to find the uninstall file log or something.

Anything else I can try?

Did you try uninstalling in normal mode? CCleaner's Tool is often better at uninstalling than Windows.

What we're trying to do here is to see if loading QuickTime drivers are the cause for your BSODs because this is the only thing new that you have recently installed.

If this doesn't work there are other things we can do.

Can you still get into Safe Mode? If you can do the following:

A. My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need. Attach to your next post. Notice the Attachment Button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

B. Scan for infections.

C. Run Memtest on your RAM. The good thing about this test is that it takes over well before the Windows load screen.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Here is the minidump files for the laptop.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MP833DVJ

Is there anyway to get on the internet while in safe mode? I have an ethernet cable.

Also is it bad that while I am in safe mode scanning for viruses that Avg Anti Virus is scanning in a black window? Instead of how it normally runs?
Also it didn't find any viruses. Is there a free spyware program that you use?

Thank you with your help so far.

xraiderx, I tried to open your minidumps but you attached the folder and I can't open your folder. F.Y.I. you can directly attach your minidump files by using the Attach File section below the next time you post. You don't need to utilize magaupload (and the free download is too slow). See the Manage Attachment button. You can Zip up to 5 minidump files (it is the files we need; not the folder) per ZIp. Please don't Zip each and every one. ;)

It is perfectly fine to scan for infections in Safe Mode. A tremendous spyware program that I like and I use both the free and $ versions is SUPERantispyware (SAS). Just keep in mind the free one must be manually updated.

You should be able to access the internet via Safe Mode.

Also, keep in mind that the rule is one antivirus, one firewall, and one spyware program; otherwise you'll have conflicts.

Here are the MiniDumps

Here are some more. Don't worry about how I didn't name one of them 3. Sorry my mistake.

You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.
Hmm, it may have been better to say Zip up 5 latest Minidumps
I'm not sure howmany Minidumps are up there, but it looks like about 30 or so :rolleyes:

Which ones are the latest? Because I wouldn't want to go through all those

Maybe it would be better to run Memtest, here's the guide: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post653029-21.html

Also a free Spyware scan. The UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions is an excellent resource of Antivirus and AntiSpyware programs. It may even be best to go through all 8 steps.
By the way, if you have Norton or AVG8 or McAfee or Trend, it would be best to uninstall these high resourced programs and run Avira (in the guide ;) )

I'd say do that first

Gah! You're right kimsland. I should have said the 5 latest. I must have had brain freeze.

xraiderx, I read your first two Zips and the last one. Of the 12, 10 were unreadable and the debugger stated they were unreadable because they were corrupted.

Of the two that did open both were 0xD1 but both said unknown_image and unknown_module (ANALYSIS INCONCLUSIVE).

I agree with kimsland and go ahead and run Memtest. Make sure you run it for a minimum of 7 Passes.

It won't let me install SuperAntiSpyware Home Edition Free Version in safe mode. It says something about administrator policies won't allow it even when I am logged in as an administrator.

Here are my hijack this and Malwarebytes log thou.

Also is it true that most dell have a feature where you can restore your computer with the hotkey ctrl+f11 when the dell logo appears on start up?

Thank you for your help so far.

It won't let me install SuperAntiSpyware Home Edition Free Version in safe mode. It says something about administrator policies won't allow it even when I am logged in as an administrator.

Here are my hijack this and Malwarebytes log thou.

Also is it true that most dell have a feature where you can restore your computer with the hotkey ctrl+f11 when the dell logo appears on start up?

Thank you for your help so far.

I would post this information at the Virus and Malware forums. Be aware though that because of the volume of posters there and the time it takes to read the many logs they insist that your follow the 8 Steps first as posted in the stickies. I hope this helps.

* I would still run Memtest first and let us know of the results.

Well please startup HJT Scan again, and place a tick next to the following entries and then tick Fix
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {43D6DC99-377B-1BDD-2B70-35B60C41F2B1} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7FE6DCF4-05BA-470E-AD10-EABBF0DF8BA1} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O20 - Winlogon Notify: gebxvvu - gebxvvu.dll (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ssqpn - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssqpn.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Network Monitor - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Monitor\netmon.exe (file missing)

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus
Then run the removal tool

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

Once that is fully complete (I'm pretty sure Avira is going to find Viruses, by the way, as you are infected)
Then try SuperAntiSpyware again. Hopefully you are able to then provide a log file for this

Also you are running XP SP2, any reason why you didn't update to SP3?, because I can see Windows genuine advantage installed, which means you must have manually gone to Windows Update at one stage

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...Or4ySdDsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090221143016AAPcN1y

Quote from Jordan

"well most dells have a feature where you can restore your computer with the hotkey ctrl+f11 when the dell logo appears on startup. right at the beginning.

You will lose ALL of your files though so start in safe mode and back em up"

Oh My God!!!

This actually worked. I push ctrl + f11 and the dell start up screen. That recovery mode thing poped up. It said I can either delete everything off my computer so it will be as I bought it from day 1,
or that I can just restart the computer.
I chose restart and next thing I know the computer is working perfectly again.

Thank you so much you just saved me days of searching for the solution to the problem.

Thank you for your help.
I am trying to choose you as best answer but it doesn't give me the option until the question expires.

But I will once it does. Thank you for all your help:) I appreciate it:)

Thank you Route44, and kimsland. I am still going to run the anti-virus/spyware programs you recommended.

You did good research on your own as well. Let us know the final results and if you have truly gained stability.

kimsland is also 100% correct in uninstalling AVG. That used to be a great product but its latest version has become bloated and has created conflicts for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back