TechSpot

Old Cisco Catalyst 1700 sold on Ebay - buy?

By Vehementi
May 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I've got a question.

I've been browsing around for ethernet switches and I came across a cache (44 available to be exact) of old Catalyst 1700's, which they say were in use by the government, and all power up fine. They go for $5 each, and then $20 for shipping which is $25 total. That does seem awfully cheap, but they probably got them for free, and it is all I would be willing to spend on a new switch. And I don't even know if they're 10/100 or just 10Mb. Does anyone? The link is here.

I was wondering if it would be worth the risk to get one. I wouldn't mind the size or any visual defects, it would just go under my desk.

I did find a couple used 5-port Linksys switches for around the same price. They are a fraction of the size and would match my router, even though they would be in different places. They would just make it easy - unlike the Catalyst's.

I was just thinking it would be cool to have Cisco gear for my networking - even if it is (semi) old. Thanks for your help.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

Yep, that's what I thought, The 24 ports along the bottom are all 10Mb and there are only 2 100Mb ports. Nevermind then, I guess I'll just go with a used Linksys or D-Link.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.