Old Cisco Catalyst 1700 sold on Ebay - buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Hey guys, I've got a question.

I've been browsing around for ethernet switches and I came across a cache (44 available to be exact) of old Catalyst 1700's, which they say were in use by the government, and all power up fine. They go for $5 each, and then $20 for shipping which is $25 total. That does seem awfully cheap, but they probably got them for free, and it is all I would be willing to spend on a new switch. And I don't even know if they're 10/100 or just 10Mb. Does anyone? The link is here.

I was wondering if it would be worth the risk to get one. I wouldn't mind the size or any visual defects, it would just go under my desk.

I did find a couple used 5-port Linksys switches for around the same price. They are a fraction of the size and would match my router, even though they would be in different places. They would just make it easy - unlike the Catalyst's.

I was just thinking it would be cool to have Cisco gear for my networking - even if it is (semi) old. Thanks for your help.

Yep, that's what I thought, The 24 ports along the bottom are all 10Mb and there are only 2 100Mb ports. Nevermind then, I guess I'll just go with a used Linksys or D-Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back