Oldest computer technology you regularly use?

SNGX1275

I was just transferring a 5.3 meg file to a 32 meg flash drive so I could transfer it to another computer without sharing over the network. That got me wondering, what is the oldest technology you semi-regularly use?

I was using a 733Mhz PowerMac G4 (Digital Audio) to run torrents with a 2TB drive connected via Firewire 400, but I've recently retired that machine.

Probably the old trusty 1.44MB floppy drive. Handy for BIOS flashing with old mobo's. Most FDD's don't seem too work that well, but the one I ripped out of a 9-10 year-old Dell (Panasonic I think) works like a charm...or at least as well as an FDD should.

Old Gateway 733 mini-tower triple booting Win98se, Redhat and Fedora.
Win98 is used quarterly as a file copy/backup repository,
and the two Linux for server side development.

I would have to say an old HP Laserjet 6P, still works even with Windows 7 64-bit. HP Laserjet 6P dates back to 1996 and has Windows 7 64-bit compatibility, I find that incredibly well supported by HP. Especially when some products (@cough@ WMP54G @cough@) have lost support within 4 years. Sure I got the card to work with Windows 7 64-bit, but not by installing Linksys drivers.

One of my servers is a Dell Poweredge pentium II that is running Ubuntu 10.04 Server. Had it for almost 11 years and it is still runnung good.

I have an old P2 350 that still works, but I don't do anything with it. Its not even hooked up currently. I could put 98se on it, but I have ME on a old Celeron 2.4 and I find it pretty useless so I'm not sure its worth the effort.

I still have my Sega Saturn hooked up - does that count?

Sure. In fact, my girlfriend has an Atari 7800 from when she was a kid, but it was missing an RF Modulator so we didn't hook it up. But I looked at ebay and found these 'new' ones for the old game systems where you just run an RCA out of the 7800 and into this little adapter, the other end of the adapter is coax that you plug into your tv. I was a bit skeptical after seeing the grey boxes for Nintendos for all these years, but I hooked the Atari up that way and it works. So we've been playing a bit of the old games, she has a several of the classics: Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Asteroids, Dig Dug, Frogger, Pole Position, Joust, DK Jr, and others.

Okay - so I stick with my first thing then... Mid 1995, first run Sega Saturn still being played with my 4-in-1 cart so I can play all my wonderful imports. Too bad it doesn't look great when hooked up to current, widescreen TVs, but I deal with it. I have some older systems nearby too, but they aren't used regularly and look even worse when hooked up to these newer TVs.

The Atari (and all my old systems) are connected to a flat 27" CRT, so they look as good as they can.

Back