Omaha next up for gigabit Internet, but it's not Google Fiber...

By Rick
May 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. With gigabit Internet already deployed in a handful of U.S. cities, less fortunate municipalities are likely to develop -- or may already have developed -- a little gigabit-envy. The next city to join that exclusive gigabit club though will be Omaha,...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,050   +699

I understand it makes sense to compare this service to google fiber, but no city has both so there is no competition between them. $160 is too much for internet service in my opinion, sure it's fast, but until I own a 4K TV that needs it, it's not that big a deal.
  3. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 845   +20

Just install that free wifi already and forget burying all those cables.
  4. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

I get 110mbs down 15 up with comcast for $112 a month and I'm fine with it. Much more than the average household gets.
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I am sitting in a studio apartment waiting on Google contractors to install the cable in my unit. Any day now... my precious.
  6. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +26

I agree. $160 /mo for internet service is far too much especially when Japan is rolling out 2Gb service for $50 / Mo.

What I would love to see is the US Govt. everywhere rolling out the free wi-fi service that they talked about recently.
  7. Only $79 if bundled with other services? if you have gigbit internet, what other services would you possibly need? phone and tv can both entirely be replaced with internet.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.