TechSpot

Onboard audio card quit working on xp part of dual boot system

By jcmattern
Apr 14, 2004
  1. I have a win98/xp dual boot computer with onboard via ac'97 sound. the sound stopped working in the xp portion only after working for 9 months. I checked devices and all are fine. The audio setup in control panel does not show a sound card existing. I tried uninstalling and xp detects the sound card without a problem. I tried original system drivers as well as updated drivers with no success. I also stopped all non critical services, but audio control still says there is no sound card. Any ideas?

2. BloodRaven

BloodRaven TS Rookie Posts: 118

yes ive had a dual boot with xp/98 before too and all it did was cause me problems. i dont know but for some reason with my experiance those two os dont go good together. so your aying that the sound works on the win98 part? hmm, maybe try a pci sound card and see what happens

3. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

I know this might sound crazy...try to check if the onboard soundcard has been enabled properly.

4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

I've seen systems in the past where the first operating system that was booted into held onto the card (in my case a NIC) and would not let go of the resources....it was physically locked out unless the system was shut all the way down. If you simply rebooted into the other O/S it wouldn't work. Hope this gives you a bit to work with.

5. jcmattern

jcmattern TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Masque, I did not think to just simply turn it off, but it corrects the problem. I tried going back to 98 again and sure enough it does not free the sound card when switching back to xp.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.