One day i turned on my pc and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the mouse didn't work, the graphics driver was gone, there was no sound. :hotbounce

So i managed to fix the graphics, the mouse half-works (it use to be USB but now only works in the circular ports). But i still havn't fixed the no sound business.

I have an Intel AC'97 Audio Controller - SigmaTel Codec. After trying loads of drivers named various 'AC97' & 'AC'97' but to no prevail. Standard System restore didn't do it, i check for viruses, none. I check Netstat just incase, nope.

I wondered if some annoying hacker decided to delete some windows file that regulates sound (if there is such one). And i wonder if theres a program to check it.

Either that or dust. It was bought Dec 2000, and i havn't opened it myself, but it's been opened. Might be dust since a lot of the components needed fixed all of a sudden.

Do you guys have any theories/suggestions? Thanks!

sometimes things like this happen in windows due to driver corruption. in that case, it is usually nesesary to reformat. before you think about that, you should check your bios setup utility to see if there is an incorrect setting there.

Well i've tried booting in safe mode, but nope.

As for BIOS, i don't think i've accessed it. Apparently, you must press a key during startup to access BIOS, but i don't know what this key is. At startup, it says "Press ESC for POST, or F2 for CMOS".

Nothing about BIOS, i run Windows Me.

Actually, what I meant was that these symptoms might occur if you booted in Safe Mode. ;)
Otherwise, your system seems pretty messed up and zephead might be right that you need a reformat. Usually one driver can be corrupted but all of them at once is strange.

yeah, even the keyboard is slightly messed (highlighting using the shift key only works if you use the arrows you find on the numbers, and the home & end on the numbers!)

N00bish question, but how do you reformat?

First of all you need a Xp CD or a "System restore CD" from you OEM.

Second you need to boot it. You may need to press F1 at POST to go into the CMOS setup and set boot order to CD-ROM first.

Boot it and follow instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back