Onkyo unveils 10.1" TA117 tablet with Tegra 2

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Most tablet manufacturers are reserving their product launches for CES next week, but Onkyo wants to beat its competition to the punch. The company has unveiled its TA117 tablet, which will ship in two versions: the TA117C1 and TA117C3. Both models run Android 2.2 Froyo, sport a 10.1-inch touchscreen with a 1024x600 resolution, and are powered by Nvidia's 1GHz Tegra 250 system-on-a-chip.

Each measures 267 x 173 x 14.8mm and features built-in 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, two USB 2.0 ports, HDMI-out, a front-mounted 1.3-megapixel camera, and a connector for an optional dock. Both iterations are practically identical, except the TA117C1 carries 512MB of DDR2 RAM with 8GB of internal storage, whereas the C3 raises that to 1GB of RAM and 16GB of storage.

The TA117 is reportedly set to ship in Japan on December 31 for an undisclosed price, and there's no word on global availability. For what it's worth, Akihabara reports that preorders might open tomorrow at GeekStuff4U.com, which ships internationally and accepts both euros and US dollars.

Permalink to story.

princeton said:
Am I the only one that has NEVER heard of onkyo in my life.

Probably. =)

They're a top end stereo equipment manufacturer that has been around forever.

Surprised to see them with a tablet tho.

Onkyo make great surround sound system. I have a 6.1 system, but I'm surprise they would make Android tablet. But everyone and there mom is make Android tablet these day. Spec look similar to all Tegra tablet. Let see how will they price this tablet.

lol at that last comment, but yeah, if you only recognize established tech-company names from the past decade or so, and have never dabbled in home entertainment equipment, then it might come as a surprise to see a tablet PC coming from a company that has dedicated the last 64 years to making audio/video equipment.

It looks from the linked info that weight is 800g, so it's not an interesting product for me.

I own a ViewSonic G-Tablet. From the picture and specs of this TA117C1, it is almost the same thing except HDMI-out (which it should be only available through the dock). I am not sure the "launch" really launch a fresh product. Well, there are several rebrand on this model anyway, like Advent Vega, Malata T2 and the ViewSonic one.

Good thing for this one is, at least from the picture it come with a orginal android UI.

Back