TechSpot

OnLive version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution free with PC retail purchase

By Shawn Knight
Aug 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Update: It seems GameStop stores are actually removing the free OnLive game code from PC retail copies of the game. The company itself confirmed the move this morning by saying: "Square…

Read the whole story

2. taea00

taea00 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

This is great news for OnLive users such as myself. For all of you skeptics out there I just have one thing to say. Try it for yourself!

Onlive runs almost flawlessly on my broadband connection. Yes even during FPS and twitch based games.

The only thing that OnLive needs is a native Linux client! Or at least some help getting it running in Wine! This is the last step for me to get completely away from Windows forever!

3. "assuming you don’t plan to play the game away from the system you originally installed the retail copy on"

So we'd have to play the on-live version on the same PC as the retail?

4. And now Gamestop employes have been told to open the regular version of the game and remove the coupon.
    So if you go there you`ll get an open box game at full price. yay!

5. taea00

No. They're saying if you give the game to someone else to use on OnLive then you won't be able to use it for your own OnLive account.

OnLive is great because you can run their games from anywhere you have a PC, MAC or micro console.

6. unrealmp3

unrealmp3 TS Enthusiast Posts: 51

Come on Valve, I'm waiting for my OnLive activation code :p

7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I tried OnLive, and the controls were laggy. Don't get me wrong, the game ran great, but the controls' slow responsiveness was evident, compared to the PC counterpart. The game I tried was Just Cause 2, and for a game so, intense, not being able to control the character as fast and as precise as I should, was definitely a turn off for the service. And I'm not even mentioning the resolution, which was pretty low.

Although that was a few months ago, I don't know it anything has changed. If it has, I would seriously give it a try again.

8. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 571   +112

I see a lawsuit on the horizon. If Gamestop has grievance with these codes, then they should have contacted Square Enix.

9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

What the hell gives Gamestop the right to remove anything from the inside of the game?

So they can take out the insides if they feel like it?

10. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

way to tick off gamers Gamestop

11. Eh? Is it even legal for Gamestop to do this kind of thing? Whats the deal with removing goodies at random from games, they have their own streaming service or something?

Anyway this is probably a great way to get OnLive to take off, the barrier to try something new(ish) isn't that high when it comes for free. Guess it sucks for those with capped connections though...

12. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

too bad, not sure OnLive is available for my part of the world :p

cheers!

13. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 251

OnLive provides you excellent graphics for your gaming experience. It actually doesn't.

If I had money to pay for OnLive, I would have bought myself sweeter rig. This way I have ultra-fast PC can process other stuff, not just gaming. I also don't have to worry about frequent "floatiness" to the controls and at the same time I can multitask on multiple monitors.

What now OnLive people?

14. taea00

You're going to build a sweeter rig that's free? The service itself is FREE. You just buy the games. Or you can sign up for the playpack for $10 a month and get 80 games (which in fairness some do suck). So a sweet rig for $10 a month? That'll take a while.

I don't really have any problems with the controls, so I'm not sure what others are referring to.

Also with OnLive running I can still multitask on other monitors as well without alt-tabbing out. I just run OnLive windowed.