Opening iphone .heic images on Win7

The default photo view is not able to open .heic images on my iPhone DCIM folder. Anyone knows how to open this type of file on Windows 7?

the new photos are in jpg but the old ones is still in .heic

They should move to a PC as jpg's. Other options, this site will convert 50 at a time. https://heictojpg.com/

And free software: Features
  • Convert HEIC to JPG
  • Convert HEIC to PNG
  • Drag & Drop .heic files or folders
  • Fast and easy to use
  • Preserves EXIF metadata
  • Support for color profiles, including wide-gamut
  • 100% Free

Looking around at the available image formats for iPhone. I happened to run across this article. It mentions emailing the images and iOS automatically converts the images to JPG. Or using an App called Airdrop which converts them during preview. I'm not an Apple person, so I don't understand everything in the article.

Looking around at the available image formats for iPhone. I happened to run across this article. It mentions emailing the images and iOS automatically converts the images to JPG. Or using an App called Airdrop which converts them during preview. I'm not an Apple person, so I don't understand everything in the article.

It works for individual file. However, this could take a lot of time of uploading and downloading if sending them vie email attachment.

Yeah I see the deli-ma. Trying to help but needed to understand myself. Good luck. :)

no issue and thanks for the feedback. I did a bit of search and there are a couple of tools for converting heic images but the quality is reduced. I am following the suggestion in this post and planned to create a Linux virtual machine to open the file with GIMP

Technically, HEIC isn't really a format as such, more of a container for images and audio. The way Apple has outlines its use is to store still images encoded with the HVEC (H.265) video format. This works particularly well with Live Photos, as multiple images can be saved in the HEIC container. The same is true for dual camera images captured on the iPhone X, iPhone XS and other recent dual-cam iPhones.

It may be Windows software that they are needing. I was thinking they were converting on the phone. But with jobeard, I then thought they may be converting in Windows. I'm not clear on that aspect.

The iPhone cameras since 6s have a setting for LIVE photos -- a series of three snaps in inside one frame with -,0,+ exposure settings in an attempt to 'get the shot'. Of course, it can be disabled.

I'm also looking for a good way. But the result is not as desired.
So there are generally 3 methods:
1. Send those images to computer video mail, they will automaticaaly transfered to JPEG. But live photos (a mov clip and 2 heic images) will turn to be still images.
2. Google online heic converter. Select those options on the first page and utilize them to transcode.
3. Get Microsoft heic codec pack. (It's a paid solution, I didn't try yet)

Back