Opening the case on a Vaio VGN-A 317M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a bit guilty as this is my first post and I have to ask for help.
I need to fit a new DVD player in my Vaio.
I can not remove the frame around the key pad. I have found the screws under the key pad, and now the frame remains fixed under the strip where the buttons and the speakers are. I can find no more screws or fixing clips? Only the very ends of this strip seem to move a bit. The metal screen under the key pad seems to be permanently fixed to the strip
As my Vaio breaks down often it is getting too expensive to send it back again.
I would be very thankful for advice.

I can't find that model number on the Sony Support site. There is a number on one of the LCD display inside hinges... This is the proper model number. Is this a USA model?

Sometimes, there is a single screw accessed from the memory or hard drive bays at the bottom of the laptop, that releases the CD/DVD drive

Hi Tmagic650 and thanks
VGN-A317M there is no space between the A and the 3. I am in Germany not the US. I think this is the A690 in the US. The number VGN-A317M is defiantly correct
They have changed the number now to the AR series. You can find this one (A series) if you look under say updating ram.
There are two Ram positions one on the top and one one the back. There is a screw behind the keypad connection I found that but none in the ram.
The hard drive bay looks to be front left on the opposite side from the DVD next to the battery.
I have managed to find a blow up diagram but that is no help.
The strip is fixed some where under the the screen hinges.

"For this model (VGN A60 in the US) the CD/DVD generally only held in with small screw on the bottom of case right at the end of where the drive is. Then it just slides out"...

This was taken from another website... Good luck

Tmagic650 said:
"For this model (VGN A60 in the US) the CD/DVD generally only held in with small screw on the bottom of case right at the end of where the drive is. Then it just slides out"...

This was taken from another website... Good luck

I can see the screw that holds the DVD it is under the metal mesh plate under the key pad. Unfortunatly it is not directly under a hole, so I can not get it out. Very frutrating.
The US number I found must be wrong.
I have found info on the web for a lot of different Vaios but not mine.
I have tried looking under the metal plate with a dentists type mirror as I can lift the front end of it. Nothing
Just running out of ideas.
I have put in a bid for a repair manual in Ebay. Maybe this will help.
If I get the manual I will let you know in case anyone needs help in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back