Opera Mail launches as dedicated desktop email client

By Dave LeClair
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Opera's recent transition to to Chromium and Blink resulted in the underdog web browser losing its integrated email client. Although longtime users may see that as a step in the wrong direction, today the Norweigan company is offering a standalone...

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Stop Opera, just stop. Go home with some dignity.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,749   +1,421

Stop lawfer, just stop. Go home with some dignity.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,678   +868

I am fine with Airmail. The email client sector is so varied now, this is too late.
  5. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,042   +62 Staff Member

JC713 I just started using Airmail too and so far I'm very happy with it
    JC713 likes this.
  6. JC713

Right? So worth $2. It is a better offering then some clients requiring a yearly/monthly fee with a similar interface.
  7. elite8539

elite8539 Newcomer, in training

Well I like opera, but I hate the fact that it can not be set as a default email client in windows 8. Shame on windows for not allowing it to be used.
  8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,510   +308

Unlike previous commenters I believe Opera does stand a chance, even though it's late to the second (or third, or fourth) wave of email desktop clients. It should be somewhat easier competing here than against Chrome and IE in the browser world.
  9. elite8539

elite8539 Newcomer, in training

How do you make it a default email client in Win 8?
  10. JC713

Well, the interface is just like any other email client, just like Thunderbird. It doesnt really bring anything new to the table.

After using Opera Mail for a few more hours, I actually appreciate it more. The feed reader isnt that great though, I will stick with Feedly for that.
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,749   +1,421

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Opera Mail designed based on the loss of Email support within the latest browser redesign? In other words it brings nothing new, because its an old browser separated into an independent new browser and email client.

12. ypsylon

ypsylon Newcomer, in training Posts: 41   +6

Opera[Mail] ceased to exist at version 12.xx. Relating to Opera with regard to something that isn't Opera anymore is ludicrous. In Norway office they should have big banner: We sold our souls for Google money.

As for using web based email. Haha, never ever. The Bat FTW. Used Opera (and still do 12.14) for ages but never liked internal e-mail client.
  13. Let see the good side
    dosens of people happy now

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.