Origin launches hybrid Xbox 360, luxury gaming PC

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Have an undivided passion for PC and console gaming? Can your savings account back it up? Great! Feast your eyes on "The Big O" -- a hybrid Xbox 360 dream machine. Starting at $7,669, Origin's gaming monstrosity is outfitted with a Core i7 930 overclocked to 4.0GHz, an Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard, 6GB of 1600MHz Corsair RAM, SLI'ed Nvidia GTX 480s, dual 50GB Vertex 2 SSDs in RAID 0, a 2TB WD Caviar Black for storage, a 1500W PSU, and other luxury hardware.

All of that shares a doublewide chassis with a liquid-cooled Xbox 360. Things get even crazier (read: more expensive). For $17,000, the company is selling an entirely liquid-cooled model with twin Xeon X5680 processors overclocked at 4.3GHz, an EVGA SR2 mobo, 12GB of 2000MHz RAM, quad-SLI GTX 480s, quad-RAID SSDs, dual 2TB storage, two 1050W Enermax PSUs, and the Xbox 360. The more expensive package also has a lengthier three-year warranty, but both have lifetime tech support.

The Big O is obviously limited to folks with "more money than sense," but the rest of us can still admire it from afar.

Permalink to story.

That;s quite the beast. But I wonder why they kept it using onboard sound. For $17,000 there's no reason not to have something like an X-FI titanium. That aside than that I'd do anything for one.

princeton said:
That;s quite the beast. But I wonder why they kept it using onboard sound. For $17,000 there's no reason not to have something like an X-FI titanium. That aside than that I'd do anything for one.
There is a simple reason for that actually: There simply isn't enough space. The SR2 has 7 PCIe-x16 slots. Slots 1, 3, 5, and 7 are populated by double width video cards (even if they are liquid cooled), so the remaining 3 slots are effectively unusable, therefore no place to put a dedicated sound card.

17.000? That's 68.000 argentinian pesos. I can buy a Peugeot 207 fully equipped with that amount of money... insane!

madboyv1 said:
princeton said:
There is a simple reason for that actually: There simply isn't enough space. The SR2 has 7 PCIe-x16 slots. Slots 1, 3, 5, and 7 are populated by double width video cards (even if they are liquid cooled), so the remaining 3 slots are effectively unusable, therefore no place to put a dedicated sound card.

Aww man. So if I found a bag of money and bought one I couldn't put a sound card? I love my nice audio so it's somewhat a waste for me. Though with a motherboard like that I'm sure it's better than something like VIA HD audio that's coupled with every budget board every made.

I'll pass... that thing would destroy my electric bill. For $17k I'll buy myself a new car and maybe even a bike :)

If you visit the website by clicking the "The Big O" link you will notice it saying:
Audio
* Creative Fatal1ty Sound card (front mounted panel)

Still that computer is too much... I spent around 1800 euros for mine 1.5 years ago:
Antec Twelve Hundred Case
Core i7-920
Gigabyte ex58-extreme
Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600mhz
Sapphire Radeon 4870x2
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w
12-in-1 Card Reader from Scythe
Samsung Superwritemaster

and most likely all the prices went down especially the CPU, I can buy the same computer for probably 1400-1600... I haven't even overclocked this system but I am sure it's not far away performance wise if I would.

EDIT: it only has the audio-card if you take the standard configuration, the CPU Magazine one only has onboard. :p

Why the hell would you want an Xbox if you have that lol. Four top-end GPU's, and you want a 720p mid-range-graphics console... yeah right.

Is this can play xbox360 game without console ?
Also, I am curious why company named it "The Big 0" because there are anime called "The Big 0"

Notice they went with the brand Enermax to power the four Geforce 480s. I'll probably go with an Enermax on the next build. I've been told my the pros here at Techspot (Didou? Maybe LNCPapa) that Enermax is a fantastic brand to go by. Thanks Techspot, you've been serving me News since I was 12 or 13.

Back