Overclocking Core i7-950 processor

By DKRON
Jan 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I am thinking about overclocking my CPU to minimize a possible bottleneck when i put in my new crossfire ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB cards, should i be putting it up to 4GHZ?

Oh and if you don't know already the standard clock of the 950 is 3.06GHz, i also have a CoolerMaster V10 to cool the CPU so heat shouldn't be a problem
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,815   +646

That kind of depends on the chip. Always best to OC incrementally. Some chips don't overclock well, some do, and some will but might need a bucketload of voltage tossed into the CPU and chipset. The first couple of 950's I tried OC'ed moderately well, but required close to 1.4v to get them there. The chip I now use won't OC as high (~3.8-3.9) but does so at good voltage (~1.18-1.2v)
    The V10 is a good air cooler. The TEC doesn't work overly effectively until the heat production starts ramping up. Overall it's going to be no more effective than a top-tier air cooler (i.e. Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Archon) or closed loop all-in-one watercooler (i.e. Corsair H80/H100, Antec Kuhler 920) so keep an eye on the temps during stability/stress testing.
  3. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 552   +9

even 3.5-3.7 would give me a FPS boost i would think, the V10 alone is a passive cooler but i have combined it with 2x 200mm (140CFM) fans sucking air up, 1x 200mm (130CFM) fan out the side and 2 on the rear so i have never even gone above 50c degrees under load

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.