Overclocking Sparkle GTX 460

By Jesse
Aug 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I just bought a new Sparkle gtx 460 and was wondering how I can go about overclocking it? What software can I use to modify its settings? Will a program like afterburner work on a non-msi card?
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

Doesn't matter, I personally like EVGA precision.
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +639

You can use Afterburner and Kombuster, or you can use EVGA's Precision as hk mentioned. Afterburner allows for custom auto-fan settings, whereas Precision does not.
    Using Afterburner to set an overclock and/or fan profile has the advantage for you to run Kombuster (MSI's version of Furmark which is included with the Afterburner download) to test the configuration for stability and tempreture.
  4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

RivaTuner is fine for basic software-based overclocking.
  5. dividebyzero

RivaTuner hasn't been updated for some time. I'm pretty sure that GTX4xx cards aren't supported.

Both EVGA's Precision and MSI's Afterburner are based on RivaTuner
  6. EXCellR8

Looks like 2.24c is still the last RivaTuner release, oh well. Is AB actually built on top of RivaTuner or did the developer just work with MSI on different software?
  7. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 368   +39

Alright cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
  8. dividebyzero

@EXCellR8
    I believe RivaTuner's author, Alexey Nicolaychuk, either works with EVGA and MSI, or allows them to modify RT
  9. EXCellR8

Well I sure hope development hasn't completely stopped on RivaTuner then, because from the sounds of it Afterburner is being adopted by more and more people who claim it's superior software. version 2.25 has been a long time coming now and there's not a whole lot of updating going on lately.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.