Overlock on Asus M5A97 R2.0, tips anyone?

Vollezar

I got a new mobo and CPU yesterday and have been trying to o/c it. I am not familiar with UEFI BIOS much and what I can do with it. So if anyone has an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and has done some o/c on it would be nice to read your tips. Thanks.
So far I have overclocked my FX-6100 to 4.0 Ghz by changing the multiplier and bus speed. I have not touched voltages. My memory is pretty slow 1333, but I have tried it at 1600 and it worked fine. Currently I have memory running at just 1400. It's all on stock cooling, for now.
Here is cpu-z validation:http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2526384
and a screenshot of me running stress test with Aida64.
stresstest.png

I am actually running the stress test as I am writing this. Been nearly 27 minutes and the temp still has not gotten past 58 degrees.
I am interested in knowing how people do their o/c on that specific mobo. Voltage changes/ FSB changes and so on.
Thanks.

I got a new mobo and CPU yesterday and have been trying to o/c it. I am not familiar with UEFI BIOS much and what I can do with it. So if anyone has an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and has done some o/c on it would be nice to read your tips. Thanks.
So far I have overclocked my FX-6100 to 4.0 Ghz by changing the multiplier and bus speed. I have not touched voltages. My memory is pretty slow 1333, but I have tried it at 1600 and it worked fine. Currently I have memory running at just 1400. It's all on stock cooling, for now.
Here is cpu-z validation:http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2526384
and a screenshot of me running stress test with Aida64.
View attachment 74217

I am actually running the stress test as I am writing this. Been nearly 27 minutes and the temp still has not gotten past 58 degrees.
I am interested in knowing how people do their o/c on that specific mobo. Voltage changes/ FSB changes and so on.
Thanks.

Hey I have the Asus M5A97 R2.0 also. There is an easy and quick way to overclock. You can just use AI Suite II. It's very easy and works very well... I have my AMD 956 BE overclocked to 3.9G with stock CPU cooler and even under stress it never goes above 58 deg. Just thought you might like to give that a try.

Cheers,
TwH

Thanks Sonic.
I've heard of the AI suite. I usually do it through the BIOS, but I'll give this thing a go.I'll have to get a different memory though. This one works fine overclocked to 1600, but from time to time it was freezing up.

Dear TwH,
I do have the same motherboard but it won't POST, my memory won't support. I have 2x4GB RAM of corsair vengeance but as I check the compatibility of ram through corsair site I found my ram model not supported.
so my question is which model of ram u used so your pc POST.
and whether the GTX550 ti of nvidia supports this board as it is SLI, and this board supports crossfire

regards
ramp voltage

I am using the good old Kingston RAM. Always found it to be the most flexible memory. I have the low profile value version. It's an 1333, but it's very stable running at 1600.
There is a button on the motherboard itself. Right by the memory slots. It supposed to help with the compatibility issues. Look in your manual for MemOK section in "Onboard switches and buttons" part of the manual. It might help. I never had to use it myself, so I cannot guarantee that it does work
As for SLI, I have no idea. I, up until now, have been using strictly ATI cards.

Hey... I use Gskill ram, I've got 24 Gb installed. I don't recall the exact number right now of the ram but it was the sniper series I believe. I'm at work but I'll post it tonight after I get home. As far as the GTX550 ti I am running a single card so the SLI and Crossfire don't come into play. The vid card was a pretty big improvement to the system. I had a Geforce 210 in there before I believe. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them.

O.k. here is the info on the memory.

G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR

Plus I have (2 x 4GB) of the same memory installed to give me a total of 24GB.

hope that helps you.

Cheers,
TwH

If the ASUS M5A97 will run SLI it'll say so on the motherboard box/manual. From the little bit of Research I've done, SLI is a no-go on the motherboard.

If my memory serves me right, only the 990X/990FX AMD chipsets will support SLI.

Now, as for the OP, for Black-Edition processor all you need to do to overclock it is raise the multiplier and adjust the voltage accordingly to make said overclock stable.

(I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT OCCUR WHILE OVERCLOCKING YOUR HARDWARE, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK)

<--- Video describing how to OC on the
[FONT=helvetica][SIZE=23px]ASUS M5A97[/SIZE][SIZE=23px][/size][/FONT][SIZE=23px][/size][SIZE=23px][/size]

Or,,,, you could just use the software and it makes the changes for you. It is extremely easy and steps it up in increments to give you the opportunity to change settings.

Or,,,, you could just use the software and it makes the changes for you. It is extremely easy and steps it up in increments to give you the opportunity to change settings.

There's something more gratifying about using the BIOS to do it, don't know why, there just is....

Yeah, I agree.... doing it through the Bios gives you the opportunity to actually fry your CPU. and,,, of course that is always a good thing.

Yeah, I agree.... doing it through the Bios gives you the opportunity to actually fry your CPU. and,,, of course that is always a good thing.

The only way you'll fry your CPU is if you put something along the lines of 1.6V+ through it while having a VERY cruddy PSU and/or if you don't have the cooling to match.

See this video
Liquid nitrogen OC hitting [FONT=arial]8.429GHz on a Bulldozer CPU.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Feel free to read this thread as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/simple-overclocking-faq.70998/[/FONT]

Back