Partition Hell....please Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dilemma...

Running Windows 2000 on my old laptop (circa 1998). Back then, I partitioned the hard-drive - thus leaving my C drive at about 3.4 GB and my D drive at something like 4.2 GB. Idea was to have the C for program/system resources and the D for new volume. Well...now I'm in a weird predicament. C is completely full - and the computer can't do a damn thing. Pages don't load, non-stop error messages, etc. Can't even do productive cleaning measures as the disk is too full to run the clean-up operations. Just a mess. I've removed all temp files, deleted recycle bin, etc. as the system is basically running on fumes.

All the while, my D drive is coasting along with a cool 1.2 GB left to spare. When I've tried to move certain larger files from C to D I get the "warning" message. I'm afraid I'll lose key drivers and other data - so I've only moved files (i.e. documents, images, etc.) that I know are safe. Is there a way to mathematically balance out the drives and/or move large files over to the D without losing them? Even better, could I add another 600 MB to the C (by taking it from the D). Only other solution would probably be to de-partition and restore the drive to its original format, right? Any thoughts are appreciated - this is an extremely inefficient system right now.

not going to say this is what u want to do, but partion magic can resize an existing partion. the progam does cost and what i would say is format and delet the partion or place another hard drive in. this could save lots of problems.

just do a complete format, and then repartition the hard-drive.

Insert your OS Installation CD, it sohuld boot from it.
Otherwise i'd say your pretty stuffed, a full HDD
is alwayts annoying and slow.

transfer?

so there's no way to transfer maybe 500 MB of that unused space on my D drive over to the C? When you say format the drive? What do you mean?

Partition problem

Like NickC said Partition Magic will do the trick. It will install on D: if there is not enough room on C:

adding any new program may not even load some programs need a swap file to setup plus registery files
if you have any programs on 2nd partition moving them would make 'em not work.
If you can copy all txt and or doc files to disc delete and stop file paging system ,when I did it on my pc a 1.5 gig recovered

well actually some programs work when you just move the files, i transfered my Diablo II folder over LAN, and can play it on the recipient computer.

Edit: Format is to wipe the HDD clean, and then reinstall from scratch. It might be a good idea to format both drives. Because if you dont have a CD to reinstrall it, its probably not that important. Also try running a defrag on both drives to speed things up.

I really don't think moving 600Mb from D: to C: is going to make much difference in your case. You don't state what you use the comp for mainly, but Temporary Internet pages .Outlook Express data, Documents & Settings , all fill up a drive constantly.
You really have to off load some files, USB harddrives are very handy .
You have a small drive and you will need to do this regularly. You need 12% free space just to run defrag.600Mb is barely there.
I doubt that you can load partition magic if your Page file is on C:\
Is there another computer you could network to ,You could try to image off of it and back-up your system, then try a format.

I don't think Partition Magic is fussy where the page file is. This raises the point - if it is still on C: it could be moved to D:. This would create enough space for a proper defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back