Pay Pal Scam - Hall of Fame

By exclamation55
Nov 12, 2005
Post New Reply
  1. It might be interesting to have a HALL of FAME of the BEST Scams;
    This one would certainly be in the running:

How many people will fall for THIS ONE?

BTW: - this IP is in Bekjing China

He /she is NOT using a DOMAIN NAME so it is not as easy to BAN him :hotouch:
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I've had a few for Paypal & one or two for eBay. I'd post the links but they're all dead now. I think almost anyone with a hotmail account has had the Paypal one at least once. ;)
  3. exclamation55

exclamation55 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 76

This one was received minutes later - check out that domain - some people are definitely falling for this

:darth: you can not even contact Yahoo in a timely manner to inform them of this

These people are REALLY raking it in
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

IF the real PayPal sends you an email (and it's a really big IF), they will address you by your proper name. They will NEVER EVER ask you to confirm your identity, NOR ask you to log into your account by clicking on a weblink.
    You are (at the most) invited to confirm things by logging yourself in, using a freshly opened browser, and ONLY going to htpps://

Anything else is a scam.
  5. exclamation55

exclamation55 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 76

This one is a brand NEW Strategy - it is really frustrating knowing that they are going to deceive some people with their Tact

But this URL is so BLATENT - But sounds so official

6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Please refrain from putting any more PayPal weblinks in these posts.
    You are using official PayPal links but make them look bad, because you don't transfer the 'false' links properly (which you shouldn't anyway).

People got the message!
  7. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 435

I have received no less than six of these types of e-mails over the last month. I bought four different designer watches under four different names, all while apparently travelling in EUROPE!! Imagine my surprise! "Would you like to dispute the Charges? Please click this link, and log on." DUH!Good that people here are looking out for each other, tho.
    Newbies!!-- don't be gullible.