TechSpot

PC Building Suggestions

By DrHook
Dec 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm thinking about building my own PC soon. I've looked through a lot of systems but I'm unsure of which I should go for. I want a fast computer that's also good with games (I want to be able to play Crysis when it comes out.)

So, what I'm sure of what I want is:
    - an Intel Core Duo Processor
    - the ability to use SLi/Crossfire mode (with 2 16x PCI-E slots)
    - a good overclocking machine

Thanks in advance.
  2. Cpt_Subtext

Cpt_Subtext Newcomer, in training Posts: 273

Here is the system I am going to be building in Febuary.... subject to changes depending on hardware before then... but here she is...

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Top Mounter 200mm Tri Cool Exhaust / 2x 120mm Tri Cool Front Fans / Top Mounter I/O :.

PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU

Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme 680i 775

CPU: Intel Conroe Core™ 2 Extreme X6800 2x 2.93 4Mb 1066 MHz LGA775 BX80557X6800

Ram: Corsair TwinX 2GB XMS2 Dominator DDR2 PC6400 with Airflow Fan

Cooling: Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II GH-WIU02 Liquid Cooling System Kit (Will Purchase GPU Addons when available)

Graphics: XFX Geforce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E

HD: WD 150Gb Raptor SATA 10k/150/16Mb Gaming Edition * 2 In RAID0

Optical: Philips PB1660 16x DL DVD-RW Black

Floppy: Mitsumi Floppy + Card Reader Black

Total inc Vat: £2,761.74 ($5,466.57 For you Yanks, $6,258.41 Canadian, I generally love Canadians... Its there Queen aswell, only the good canadians not those stupid French Canadians.... who in the right minds wakes up one morning and says right I want to be French??? STUPID STUPID STUPID - Al Murrey.... The Landlord )

The motherboard is the weapon of choice for gamers and overclockers at the moment according to the reviews etc and the CPU is the best for a gaming platform currently. But this should eat its way through practically everything thrown at it......

Once the watercooling kit addons are available I will add cooling for 2 of those 8800GTX cards and ram and crank up the volume on those..... should be set for a long time to come before any upgrades need doing.
  3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

drhook, you'll want to have about $1,100 (USD) on your hands for the box and software alone. a good monitor and speakers could put you over $1,500.

in addition to the aforementioned mobo, i reccomend a zalman 9500 series cpu cooler, and a thermaltake tsunami case (www.thermaltake.com)

a word of advice-get the money together first, then choose what to buy.

Cpt_Subtext - why did you put a floppy drive on such an awesome machine? *shakes head*
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.