TechSpot

PC freeze/GFX stopped responding

By Gibster
Sep 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all, im having a big problem playing RIFT.
    Every time a planar tear comes into view (looks like this http://www.little-players.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/rift-tear.jpg) my pc will lock up, screen will go black, flicker, audio stutter, then go back to the game. At this time there is a popup in bottom right saying graphics driver stopped responding and recovered.
    This only happens whenever one of these planar tears come into view of my screen.

Im running a radeon hd4670, and i have tried old drivers, new drivers, windows updates, motherboard driver update, i just dont know why its happening or what i can do to fix it.

Has anyone else had this or does anyone know why this is happening to me?

Thanks in advance

2. CJ Casanova

CJ Casanova TS Rookie Posts: 21

I had this problem with my NV9500GT, If i remember correctly i had to use forceware drivers, which were a pain in the backside just to find. Eventually i found some that worked ok, Before you try that check all of your 3d gaming settings(in windows) & ingame settings. also give sisoft sandra a try that can be helpful

if all else fails try driver doctor (a free version of driver detective)

Also what Screen Resoloution are you running at ? ;Have you tried a different one ?
    Has it always done this and do any other games do this ?

3. Gibster

Gibster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

it seemed to be AMD Vision control venter, because i uninstalled that and it hasnt done it since, but when i re-install it, i get the not responding issues.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.