PC isn't as good as it was before

By Phvb
Aug 11, 2005
  1. How do you reduce your clockspeed? I think my computer is over heating during gameplay and is slowing it down. I'm unsure though. I don't know much about my probelm or how to fix it. When I play CS (counter-strike, a half-life modifcation, which should run on low requirements , note: this game played fine when I first purchased this machine) the game slows down every 2-4 minutes, causing a pause - then returning to where I should be 20 seconds of slow motion later. Could my computer be over clocked on MHz? help

Compaq Persario 5320 US
    512 Ram
    40 Gb
    Nvidia Vanta 16mb
    Windows Xp Home
    intel pentium 4, 1.50 ghz
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Get a can of compressed air, take the sides of the case off and blow out everything, especially the CPU heatsink and power supply. Dust is an insulator and is the #1 cause of overheating problems. Also defragment the hard drive. A decent video card will cost about $50. Just about anything out now is better than the Vantasaurus :).
  3. Austin44

Austin44 TS Rookie Posts: 67

and if that doesnt work with it most likely will you may need to get a new fan or check the thermal paste around the fan but i doubt ull need to replace the fan it should be a last resort.

do what vega said 1st tho

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.