PC will not boot with additional ram added. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Necrosjef

I have just purchased new RAM for my PC identical to my current RAM in everyway. This is as far as i can tell
Corsair ValueSelect VS512MB400C

I currently have 1gb of ram and iam trying to upgrade to 2gb of ram.

I have 4 ram "slots" in my motherboard and i plugged in the 2 new RAM sticks the motherboard. The PC will not boot up with the extra ram in it. It doesnt even reach dos. It just does nothing.

I then tried just the new RAM alone and it worked in place of the previous RAM. But when i exceed 1gb of ram the pc will not boot.

My pc spec is

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
Nvidia 6600 GT 128MB graphics card
1024 DDR RAM
Windows XP

Iam unsure how to determine what motherboard i have and i cannot find any marking or serial code on it. However i suspect this is a software error or some sort of RAM cap as iam pretty sure that a pentium 4 can handle more than 1gb or ram.

Please help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Download the free Everest programme from HERE. It will give you lot`s of info about your system, including what mobo you have.

Then go to your mobo manufacturers website, and download your mobo manual.

Check to see what ram, and how much is supported etc.

Also, what OS are you running?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ok i have ran the program and discovered the following information about my motherboard. I put some of it into google and i looked around motherboard.org to see if i could find my motherboard but with no success please help :)

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 06/30/2004-RS350-SB300-6A664PREC-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type ATI A-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Mmm.

If your computer is an oem build such as Dell/Hp/Gateway etc. Go to your computer manufacturers website. You should be able to find the info you`re looking for there.

Regards Howard :)

I managed to find my motherboard with a bit of creative use of motherboards.org website and download the manual. It appears that only 2 of the 4 memory slots can be used at any one time anymore than this and the computer will not boot up.

Any advice on which type of motherboard would support 4x512mb RAM modules aswell as my processor and graphics card or where the best place is to shop online for motherboards?

I`ve just spotted your new thread in the CPUs, Chipsets and Mobos forum.

Well done. You`re far more likely to get an answer to your question there.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back