PCI Express 3.0 specification released

By Emil
Nov 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. As expected, the PCI-SIG has announced the PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 specification. The 3.0 specification is now available to all members of the PCI-SIG.

Read the whole story
  2. poundsmack

poundsmack TS Rookie Posts: 74

great, now I have to wait even longer to get a new PC. I was going to upgrade after the new Intel chips came out, now this. before that it was SATA 6.... etc...
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

Eh go ahead and get a new pc. Theyll always be coming out with new, faster stuff. Just make sure youre gettin the most bang for ya buck
  4. myrmidonks

myrmidonks TS Rookie Posts: 48

I feel PCIe 2.0 is gonna last a while until products come out that can take advantage of the full 8 GT/s... I don't know of many things that can even take full advantage of a 5GT/s lane.
  5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,321   +263

The greatest thing about all of this to me is the continued support as a backwards compatible interface, so you can still plugin PCIe1.0-2.1 devices into a PCIe3.0 slot. While it will like slow down/limit the development of PCIe3.0 devices, at the same time it is a great service to users and manufacturers.
  6. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +41

With that attitude, you will never buy a new PC, ever.
  7. poundsmack

poundsmack TS Rookie Posts: 74

and I'll have you know my Pentium 3 computer works for me just fine ;)
  8. Johny47

Johny47 TS Rookie Posts: 157

Like SATA 3 this will probably increase the costs of motherboards quite alot when it's released, I'll wait a while =/
  9. Jurassic4096

Jurassic4096 Banned Posts: 155

"Gamers and PC enthusiasts likely remember when we moved from AGP to PCIe. The performance improvement coming from an AGP video card to a PCIe card was impressive."

I call BS big time. I remember the move, and i also clearly remember, a 6600GT on both slots had NO difference.
  10. Jurassic4096

A lot? try $6 max. and that's probably generous.
  11. Jurassic4096

grr no edit or delete option...
    $6 more for it to be added (circuitry) to the southbridge i mean. You can find what the average cost of motherboard components online.

I remember one audio chipset (few years ago) was like $10... Then i remember thinking, "How the heck could people honestly be saying motherboard audio is as good as a dedicated card!"

Techspot is the bizzomb!
  12. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Here's the problem. NOTHING FULLY USES PCIe 2 BANDWIDTH!
  13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

mmmm...I wouldn't say nothing, although in the vast amount of scenario's that is the case.

One exception to the rule would be a dual GPU card (HD 5970 or GTX 295 for example) using CPU physics. Normally most graphics computation is done within the GPU itself -hence the main reason why games tend to be GPU rather than CPU dependant. If CPU physics is added to the graphical mix then the communication between card and CPU can saturate the available lanes. This is likely to become more of an issue if physics/PhysX starts making better use of multi-core CPU's and enthusiast grade cards can churn out frames unrestrained by a CPU limitation, unlike the present case ( hence fps drops when enabling physics properties whether it be PhysX, Havok, Bullet or game engine based)
  14. ruben1992

ruben1992 TS Rookie Posts: 32

Looks like next year i'll be getting a Sandy Bridge / PCIe 3.0 / UEFI motherboard :D
  15. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 157   +15

I have interest. Maybe someday in the future I'll buy a computer with USB 3.0, PSI-E 3.0, Sata 3.0, and some Core i9! ;)
  16. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Quoted for truth:

... Just like the upgrade from PCI to AGP which made zero difference, as well. The only *real* difference would be that newer, better cards are always available for newer, better slots, which in practical terms, puts things like AGP and PCI at a natural disadvantage.

But with the same model card, you could always expect inseparable performance results.
  17. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

What's the point of moving to version 3.0 when Intel chipsets can barely supply sufficient bandwith to 2 PCIe Version 2.0 X16 video card slots ? The only boards with abundant PCIe bandwith are those like the EVGA Classified X58 series which incorporate NF200 chips from Nvidia.
  18. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Booster Posts: 220   +14

Nah i going to keep my 2.0 board. when 3.0 as sufficient support then MAYBE i will upgrade.
  19. Let me just remind you all that the pci express 2.0 is ONLY 4GT/s because it HAS TOO MUCH OVERHEAD NOISE LOSS. There are many things currently uising the 4GT/s.The new pci express 3.0 will have 8GT/s making it much faster then 2.0.
  20. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

I hope they take there sweet time coming out with this so I can keep feeling like my video card is a beast.
  21. DSparil

DSparil TS Rookie Posts: 35

If this is just another DDR3 or a SATA3, then no thanks.

I can't even notice any improvement on these "3s" that have come out. Sure they're faster at burst speeds, but burst speeds mean nothing.

Just another marketing gimmick to replace your motherboard with a new one.