PCI Simple Communication Controller for HP Pavilion DM4

jcroot

Hello guys!

After trying myself and searching the web i decided to post my problem, maybe somebody can give me a hand here.

I just bought a new HP Pavilion dm4-1165dx laptop today and so far it looks fantastic, however I am the type of user who doesn’t like all the extra software that usually comes with a new computer so I decided to format the HD and install a clean copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

After successfully installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit I went to the HP’ support site and download the most common drivers, however now i am having a driver issue:

Problem: Under Other devices, there is “PCI Simple Communication Controller” that needs a driver.

I had installed most of the drivers from the HP support site except the following:

Under: Driver Chipset
- Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver

Reason: I wasn’t sure if I need this driver or not, perhaps is for a different type of computer or model?

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3&product=4308943&sw_lang=&key=null&site=null

Under: Driver Chipset
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver

Reason: I know what is this driver for but for some reason I decided not to install it since I believe it was already included when I installed the “Intel Graphics Driver (64-bit)” driver.

Link:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3&product=4308943&sw_lang=&key=null&site=null

Under: Driver Graphics
- ATI Graphics Driver

Reason: For some reason I believe this doesn’t belong to my computer since my graphic card is Intel, I am not sure though.

Link:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3&product=4308943&sw_lang=&key=null&site=null

Under: Driver Network:

- Qualcomm Mobile Broadband Drivers - Gobi2000
Reason: I have no clue if my laptop support or has this device.

Under: Driver Network:

- Ralink/Motorola BC4 Bluetooth 3.0 + HS Adapter Driver
Reason: I believe my laptop does not support Bluetooth.

The rest of the drivers or software the I did not installed is not worth mentioned them:

Under Bios:

WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (for Notebooks with Intel Processors) Microsoft Windows Based

Under Recovery Media:

DVD - Windows 7 64b Recovery Kit

Under: Software Multimedia:

HP MediaSmart Photo Software

HP MediaSmart Music Software

HP MediaSmart DVD Software

HP MediaSmart Movies and TV

Under software solution:

Lightscribe System Software

I was just wondering if somebody could give me a hand here with the drivers that I haven't installed yet, maybe one of them needs to be install in order to fix the “PCI Simple Communication Controller”

PCI Simple Communication Controller
Off hand i'd guess that's for a fax/modem connection... Is there an RJ-11 port for a phone cord on the computer? Did you see any fax/modem software on the web site?

• Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Off hand i'd guess that's for a fax/modem connection... Is there an RJ-11 port for a phone cord on the computer? Did you see any fax/modem software on the web site?

• Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Thanks for the reply! after trying and following your suggestion i was able to find the driver for the "PCI Simple Communication Controller " by installing the "Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver" driver.

Also, I almost have all my drivers working properly but I am missing one more thing... the Quick Launch Buttons doesn't seems to be working correctly, I installed the Quick Lunch Buttons software from HP and also the HP Framework software but whenever I press Fn + volume key the volume seems to go up or down but I cannot see the graphics of the volume on the screen neither when i mute the volume. A friend of mine who has the same exact model laptop is able to use the Quick Launch Buttons correctly, he is been able to see the Quick Launch graphics every time he uses it. Any idea of what else could I be missing? perhaps is there another driver from my long list that needs to be installed?

Thanks for the reply! after trying and following your suggestion i was able to find the driver for the "PCI Simple Communication Controller " by installing the "Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver" driver.
Well, I'm glad my reply lead you to the right driver even tho I had guessed the driver itself wrong! :D

As far as the quick launch buttons,,, hmmmmm....

I also think they would depend on the HP Framework software and HP Quick Launch Button software, installed in that order.

One guess you might try: reinstall them

I'd check in Ctrl Panel->Programs and Features first to see if listed and uninstall from there first (Quick Launch then Framework).

Then try installing again (first Framework then Quick Launch)

g'luck!

Well, I'm glad my reply lead you to the right driver even tho I had guessed the driver itself wrong! :D

As far as the quick launch buttons,,, hmmmmm....

I also think they would depend on the HP Framework software and HP Quick Launch Button software, installed in that order.

One guess you might try: reinstall them

I'd check in Ctrl Panel->Programs and Features first to see if listed and uninstall from there first (Quick Launch then Framework).

Then try installing again (first Framework then Quick Launch)

g'luck!

Thanks for your reply, I tried removing Quick Launch then Framework and then re-installing then again (admin run windows 7) but for some reason it didn't work, i mean I am able to lower and mute the volume with Fn+F9 or F10 (which are the volume controls) but I cannot see the graphic which is suppose to display every time i perform I use the quick launch keys.

Take a look through Control Panel. Maybe a special tab under Sound? Or even its own sound applet icon may exist? There are sometimes control panel applet options that allow you to enable/disable those notification icons

Back