Philips set to launch iPhone-style docks for Android phones

Jos

Philips took the opportunity on the stage at this year's IFA to announce the launch of three new docks designed for Android phones. The new Fidelio range works with Android 2.1 phones and upwards and allows for an iPhone-style docking system capable of music playback. Despite Google trying to encourage manufacturers to support Android devices with accessories, this market has seen little growth in part due to the huge demand for iPhones and iPads.

The constant variations between Android devices has done little to help the situation, but with more devices now featuring a standardised micro-USB port on the bottom center it's now possible for docks and other accessories to work with multiple handsets.

The new Philips docks also feature a movable micro-USB port enabling devices with off-centered ports to be centrally positioned on the dock whilst still charging the device. Even more genius is that the charging port can rotate 180 degrees, enabling pretty much any Android phone to connect to it with the screen facing forwards.

Bluetooth takes care of delivering the sound to the device, with the Philips' songbird application making the process of pairing the two devices painless. That said, the application doesn't feel anywhere near as polished as the version offered to iPhone/iPad customers, but we suspect this will improve with further updates.

Pricing is still unknown but three models will initially be launched: The entry level AS111 alarm clock dock featuring a single 4W speaker, the mid range AS531 10W model, and the top of the range AS851 featuring 30W total output.

Permalink to story.

It is about time, I was looking for one for a while now. I actually had to rig up a USB cord with magnets to some wood and some crap speakers for 'portability'.

I believe all android phones use Micro-USB.

Do all Android phones use the same connector? Or do they all use Micro-USB?

I can't think of a single Android phone that doesn't, but its more the position of the port on the phone that has varied between models. Its becoming much more standardised now, enabling the launches of the product like in this article.

The Philips design is pretty genius really; first of all the port is on a slider so you can adjust to to nearly any position either side of centre and it also turns through 180 degrees so the vast majority of Android phones with a charger port on the side or the bottom in pretty much any position should fit.

I know the Samsung Galaxy S2 would actually face with the screen backwards if it wasn't for this feature.

Ehm... Samsung Galaxy for one still uses propietary connections. My LG has standard 3.5 and micro usb connectors though.

Kibaruk said:
Ehm... Samsung Galaxy for one still uses propietary connections. My LG has standard 3.5 and micro usb connectors though.
Not sure what SGS model you have but they come standard with micro-usb, so yeah....

Back