TechSpot

Philips set to launch iPhone-style docks for Android phones

By Jos
Sep 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Philips took the opportunity on the stage at this year's IFA to announce the launch of three new docks designed for Android phones. The new Fidelio range works with Android…

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Do all Android phones use the same connector? Or do they all use Micro-USB?

3. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TS Member Posts: 55   +6

It is about time, I was looking for one for a while now. I actually had to rig up a USB cord with magnets to some wood and some crap speakers for 'portability'.

I believe all android phones use Micro-USB.

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I can't think of a single Android phone that doesn't, but its more the position of the port on the phone that has varied between models. Its becoming much more standardised now, enabling the launches of the product like in this article.

The Philips design is pretty genius really; first of all the port is on a slider so you can adjust to to nearly any position either side of centre and it also turns through 180 degrees so the vast majority of Android phones with a charger port on the side or the bottom in pretty much any position should fit.

I know the Samsung Galaxy S2 would actually face with the screen backwards if it wasn't for this feature.

6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,414   +116

Ehm... Samsung Galaxy for one still uses propietary connections. My LG has standard 3.5 and micro usb connectors though.

7. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Not sure what SGS model you have but they come standard with micro-usb, so yeah....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.