Philips unveils multi-color, smartphone-controlled LED lightbulbs

By Jos
Oct 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Philips is jumping into the smartphone-controlled LED lighting market with a new system dubbed hue. Initially available through Apple Stores only, hue light bulbs screw into a regular ES fitting and otherwise work like a standard light bulb, but they...

Read more
  2. Mortalife

Mortalife Newcomer, in training

So they robbed an idea off a Kickstarter project and renamed it. Good job!
  3. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

The whole idea just feels like crap that we don't really need in any way, any point on why we need them is a mere excuse >.>
  4. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 423   +75

Yea wow we saw this on kickstarter just a few months back and here comes phillips, maybe they bought the idea from the kickstarter guy?
  5. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

It takes quite a while to develop a product and push it to market. I doubt they "stole" this from Lifx.
    danhodge likes this.
  6. danhodge

danhodge Newcomer, in training Posts: 80   +13

Okay, since I know 'The colours will look pretty' isn't the best argument (although still legit), I will use my backup - they are more power efficient. And today, that makes all the difference.

Besides, don't lie - the idea of playing with your lighting on your phone is just plain cool.
    Gareis and Tekkaraiden like this.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,039   +695

Phillips has been working on LED lights for a long time. Here's a good article about it. Turns out getting an LED to put the same hue as an incandescent is really really hard, the other colors are probably easier... http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/08/ff_lightbulbs/all/

I agree this looks kinda pointless, but I can imagine night clubs/bars would go for it.
  8. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 897   +52

That's fun, I might actually have a reason to visit the local apple store.
  9. Nice ripping off kickstarter.
  10. dawei1993

dawei1993 Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

I would rather get the system where you clap twice and lights switch on and off... I rly don't see the point of wifi connection on lightbulbs -.-... How lazy can you get seriously.
  11. Before you all said phillips is ripping off kickstarter, dimmable bulb is not a new thing, I have it installed on my home from many years ago, and it can controlled from control panel, remote or even with your pc/laptop.. you might not familiar because this kind of stuff often used in expensive home which is not kind of stuff you can find easily on your local store..

And for LED lightbulb, phillips has been working and developing long before kickstarter project begin.
    danhodge likes this.

12. Don't know who Kickstarter are but Philips have been making (GREAT) LED lighting for a long long long time, so Kickstarte probably stole the idea from Philips quite frankly.
  13. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

I'm holding out for the one that can read your mind, and adjust the lighting to suit....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.