Photoshop/HD video/photo editing build

JesseM

Hey all, just looking for critiques and suggestions on my build. I'll be using the computer for heavy photo editing (Adobe CS5), video editing, HD video playback, and some graphic intensive gaming (BF3, RAGE, mostly FPS). I want to focus the costs towards CPU, GPU, and RAM and not worry so much about HDDs, CD/DVD drives, network cards, aesthetics, sound, etc. I do not overclock, so I won't be needing tons of cooling. I'm open to suggestions for anything, especially if it lowers the price.

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Case

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) ATX Intel

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s

CPU Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

CD/DVD: LG DVD Burner SATA

WIFI: EDIMAX EW-7811Un USB 2.0 Wireless nano Adapter

Total price: $1054 after rebates

Very decent setup indeed. However, I would get the Corsair TX 750 instead to keep the option of adding a second 6950 in the near future.

Instead of the Antec 300, take a look at the BitFenix Shinobi. Wonderful case at a $60 price point.

Thanks for the reccomendations Ritwik7!

Question: do you know if the mobo I linked to supports CrossFire? It doesn't seem to say in the specs. If so, I may opt for the 750W supply as you reccomended.

And the Shinobi looks like a fantastic case. However, I am drawn to the Antec because it comes with 4 fans, where the Shinobi comes with 1. So the Antec is probably less expensive in the end.

Thanks again Ritwik7!

Well the ASUS website and a few other places clearly mention CrossFire support.

2x PCI Express 2.0 x16 (Blue - x16 Mode; Black - x4 Mode).

It is my understanding that running a crossfire setup with the 16x, 4x PCIE slots creates a serious performance bottleneck. I wouldn't waste my money on another 6950 if it wasn't performing to its fullest. On the other hand, I know very little about crossfire in general and could be completely wrong.

By the way, searching around the web I got my build down to $980 after rebates. I might just wait for Black Friday to buy though...

The 4x bandwidth should not be too much of a bottleneck. However, other members such as dividebyzero and red1776 could give you a better perspective on this.

Wow thanks guys, that is really great information. I'll certainly keep that in mind when I put down on a new machine!

Back