Physicists may prove we exist in a computer simulation

Rick

Staff

Have you ever considered the possibility that we may all live in a holographic universe constructed by vastly superior beings? I know -- it sounds like the basis for good science fiction (The Matrix, anyone?), but Nick Bostrom famously hypothesized (pdf) that our very existence may be nothing more than the algorithmic results of a computer simulation. This may sound totally absurd to most, but that modern existential notion is really no less credible than the equally mind-bending (and sometimes physics-bending) theories proposed by both science and religion.

The news here though, is that researchers now believe they have a way to test this thought experiment. A team of scientists from Germany -- University of Bonn, to be exact -- suggest that even the most powerful Universe simulation would be subject to certain limitations of its host Universe. The team believes those limitations would be observable by its inhabitants too, appearing in the form of physical constraints which may not jibe with otherwise universal laws.

What makes their discovery particularly exciting is scientists believe we actually have sufficient technology to test whether or not we are all just electric sheep. How, you ask? Simple -- by creating our own simulation of the Universe, of course.

The problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time.

The question that Beane and co ask is whether the lattice spacing [example: our three dimensions + time] imposes any kind of limitation on the physical processes we see in the Universe. They examine, in particular, high energy processes, which probe smaller regions of space as they get more energetic. 

What they find is interesting. They say that the lattice spacing imposes a fundamental limit on the energy that particles can have. That's because nothing can exist that is smaller than the lattice itself.

So if our cosmos is merely a simulation, there ought to be a cut off in the spectrum of high energy particles.

Source: technologyreview.com

Bonn scientists believe limits inherited by a simulation would affect high-energy particles like cosmic rays. Most interestingly, one such example could be the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin limit, a phenomenon produced by the interaction of cosmic rays and cosmic microwave background radiation, creating an unexpected limit on their energy -- a fact which doesn't fit neatly into physics. 

In a totally meta way, this may essentially be us observing the orientation of the dimensional lattice from the reality in which our creators exist. Whoa...

This may be surprising, but we've gotten quite good at representing the tiniest nooks of the quantum universe digitally. Granted, we're only recreating areas spanning femtometers -- that's far less than a nanometer -- but hey, that's a start. Simulations of these incomprehensibly miniscule portions of our reality yield particles, energies and interactions which are indistinguishable from the real thing. Well, except for having the results displayed on a computer screen, anyway.

Permalink to story.

[FONT=Calibri]Yeah, but what happens when 'THEY' find out we're sentient and on to them. Will they terminate the simulation? Maybe replaced with a new version of Angry Bards: flinging Mariah Careys and Nicki Minajs at each other.[/FONT]

The truth is that we are souls having a human experience. That the universe, the earth, people are created by us so that we can learn, grow, create, experience, heal and love. That time and space are illusions to help us with this process. That this earth school is based on 3 dimensions and is a school of contrast (up/down, left/right, good/evil, etc) where we create our own lessons so we can learn. There are other dimensions and schools to learn different lessons. One day science, religion and spiritualy will all merge to show this. Now it doesn't matter if you believe this or not, because in all of this you get free will or choice to decide what direction you wish to move in.

If you have read Robert Rankin's Website Story you know the truth about the millenium bug and life on earth...

Sounds like people will be reading about this is a textbook 200 years from now laughing, just like when we laughed at people for thinking the earth was flat or was the center of the universe

I dont fully understand everything writen in the artical, but could it be, not the limitation of the universe/simulation but of our knowledge.

So when using VMWare one should feel a God - that naive OS thinks it runs on the hardware directly :)

P.S. A crystal ball has no outs ;)

OK, the only problem with this theroum is that even if the high energy particles are limited by output to size ratio, the interferon effect kinda negates the theroum in general. Meaning until we can hit well below the nano scale in DIRECT observations, this is all just blue skying. I applaude the gentlemen for thier creative way of viewing the universe. However given the sheer size and scale as we know it, then toss in quantum mechanics, we are atleast two hundred years away from any relevant discovery.

I saw this hypothosis on Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Basically, since a computer is a system that runs on rules and the universe is a system that runs on rules, you could call our universe a computer system. I think it's a stretch of a semantic argument, but there is some creepy evidence for it.

For example, the constants of forces in our universe. If gravity were just the smallest fraction stronger or weaker, our universe wouldn't exist. Same for the strong nuclear force. Intelligent Design advocates love this, and I'm not one of them, but these strange facts are still true.

"In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth." - Genesis 1:1

This isn't news to me. You'd be surprised how much good Science supports the notion of a created universe by a Creator. The DNA code, cell splitting, astronomy, geology -- all fields provide a plethora of evidence in their fields.

It's gods world made with his map editor. When we die and to go heaven we will see it and be like wtf! crazy.

The movies "The 13th Floor" has this exact same premise. Exactly the same. This article's spirit was addressed in the movie, which was released almost 10 years ago.

Nice to see the question of whether we're the top-most host universe of a simulation within it finally being addressed by Physicists.

Lol I thought about this after watching a interesting episode of Nova years ago, very stoned, they leaned me to it.

@guest this ideas been around since computers

p.s. Maybe it was into the worm hole, anyways what got me is that sub atomic particles make a place for you in the Universe before you begin to move to that place. If that's not a giant math equation what is. Where for out though free will?

Or of course god.

This idea has been around for hundreds of year at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_demon
Although thanks to the Matrix's take on it, it now revolves around a computer simulation instead of an evil demon but the basics are the same.
For example, the constants of forces in our universe. If gravity were just the smallest fraction stronger or weaker, our universe wouldn't exist. Same for the strong nuclear force. Intelligent Design advocates love this, and I'm not one of them, but these strange facts are still true.
Stephen Hawking says nearly the exact same thing in his book, "A Brief History of Time". There are certain constants in the universe which seem to point to a designer. I prefer to keep an open mind to the idea of a creator as their is evidence for it. However, it bugs me when people dismiss the idea without formal consideration. I also find this quote by Hawking to be interesting.
?Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?? Hawking is an extremely intelligent man and an atheist but I appreciate the fact that he does not shy away from hard questions that stretch the bounds of science, philosophy, and religion.

@Twixtea
Well, if it was proven that there was "Intellegent Design" in the creation of the Universe, it would definatly point to a "Creator". Maybe not the "God" versions, but definatly intellegent. Which would not dicount "God", but would show that, A. W e are not alone in the universe. B: There is a Creator. C: Life would be everywhere in the universe as no intellegent creature (I hesitate to say being) would waste that much space.

Back