Pioneer, Buffalo unveil BDXL-supporting Blu-ray writers

Jos

Staff

Pioneer and Buffalo Technology have announced the world’s first Blu-ray disc burner drive for PCs compatible with the Blu-ray Disc Association’s new 128GB BDXL format announced last April. There will be two models: an external BRXL-6U2 that hooks up via USB 2.0 and the BRXL-6FBS-BK which is connected internally via SATA II. Both models will be able to handle new 4-layer (128GB) and 3-layer (100GB) BD-R XL discs at 4x speeds in addition to 3-layer BD-RE XL and older BD-R/BD-R DL and BD-RE/BD-RE DL Blu-ray disc media.

Currently BDXL discs are only playable on standalone devices, including a couple of players that Sharp announced a few months back for around $2,300 and $3,500. Unfortunately neither Pioneer nor Buffalo shared any kind of significant information regarding pricing and availability for their Blu-ray burner drives, but going by the prices of Sharp's players it doesn’t look like these super high capacity discs will see any kind of mainstream use anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

sweet. but i dont think users (specially in my country) will embrace this technology at such an early stage. it too expensive and there is not too much alternatives. at that price, i could just buy a good external hard drive and put my media there then connect it to my player. blank blu ray disks are scarce here too ugh. idk. maybe in the future drives like this would become a lot cheaper and reach mainstream. we'll see

Personally, I don't think discs are the way to go... Almost everyone uses USB drives to store information without the inconvenience of having to burn on a DVD/Bray or having to take care of the disc so it doesn't get scrached... So, 128gb in a blu ray disc is good, but I don't see it mainstream for a very long time...

fritz123 said:
sweet. but i dont think users (specially in my country) will embrace this technology at such an early stage. it too expensive and there is not too much alternatives. at that price, i could just buy a good external hard drive and put my media there then connect it to my player. blank blu ray disks are scarce here too ugh. idk. maybe in the future drives like this would become a lot cheaper and reach mainstream. we'll see

well of course they will become cheaper as time goes buy, unless the technology dies within the next 6 months. I would not buy something like this unless it was less than $200, right now its just not worth it.

exactly dude......i would choose an external drive over this any day, cos they cost much less and more user friendly imo.

In my opinion you should not all rush now and buy this drive. If you wait for a couple of months for other company's to support and produce this technolog, then due to competition between firms, the prices will have to be lowered.

That is though, only if this technology is accepted by the peoply. If it ends up like Disk T@2 from Yamaha then you would have spent a fortune on something that will never catch on (I have never seen this technology in action, or hear about it alot, but I frequently use HP lightscrube which is awesome!). If the technology doesn't catch on, then manufacturers won't make enough of the Blu-Ray discs for you to burn stuff on to, so you'll have an expensive drive with great capabilities, but you can't use it due to lack of resources.

I think that this technology is quite great, if it eventually becomes cheaper. This can then be used as a back up storage media, and it would take (really really) far less space than if you backed up onto dvd's. This can have great use in office environments. I would really like to see this technology catch on. Microsoft, though, doesn't look like it thinks the technology will catch on and so, the xBox doesn't support blu-ray.

Cueto_99 said:
Personally, I don't think discs are the way to go... Almost everyone uses USB drives to store information without the inconvenience of having to burn on a DVD/Bray or having to take care of the disc so it doesn't get scrached... So, 128gb in a blu ray disc is good, but I don't see it mainstream for a very long time...

I agree with this. Whether it's pictures, movies, music or whatever, people are moving away from permanent forms of media. Things are becoming increasingly digital. At this point, I would rather having a blu-ray quality movie in file format that on disc. I can only think of one person I know who actually puts money into blu-ray.

i cant imagine that writing to these massive disks is a quick process. not to mention that the drive and media costs more than the computer probably.

its a great idea though. cant wait to see what is next.

At that price it's way more affordable to buy an external 2.5" hdd of course. I don't think that they will manage to make this technology affordable before the whole Blu-ray format is history. Some other cheaper disk formats are currently in development and there will be no reason for blu-ray xl to exist.

My thoughts exactly... how long does it take to burn a 128GB disc at 4x blu-ray speed. A long time I'm sure. Maybe I'll get one when they go 16x like current dvd burners... :) Until then, I'll stick with a portable hard drive. Very cool technology though.

"There will be two models: an external BRXL-6U2 that hooks up via USB 2.0...."

Nice USB 2.0 bottleneck there.

Forget about bluray, I never even use cds or dvds anymore. This will probably just become a novelty item that nobody will ever use. Flashdrives and portable harddrives are much cheaper and much more versatile (and much faster if they use usb 3.0).
For movies, there's netflix or blockbuster online and for tv shows theres hulu. Physical media is on its way out.

I often wanted to put a blu ray burner in my homebuilt rig, but I heard the software (and perhaps the hardware) is very clunky and it may even have the hdmi requirement monitor nonsense or whatever the hardware drm is called. I don't even have a blu ray player and tv isn't even broadcast in 1080p yet (3d anyone?)

Can we please do away with the disc format? I can't wait to see the day when discs have died completely. Worst storage device ever. My thumb drive never skips, but at some point every single cd or dvd I have ever owned skips.

I don't care how many gigs you can cram on a disc, please just die.

Hey, who wants to pay $200+ for a bluray burner that can can burn 128GB onto a disc thats going to probably cost $50 if not more? I sure as hell don't, Ill just buy a 1TB HDD for $60 and never look back, hey I need another backup, well 1TB HDDs are now $50 woot look at the savings. Bluray needs to drop drastically in price or its going to die suddenly, flash based storage is almost cheaper at this point in time and is also constantly reducing in price. Disc based storage was so last century already.

I just can't get excited about the idea of using blu-ray discs for backups. IMHO its faster, more convenient and not to mention cheaper in the long run to buy several hard drives and backing up your data that way.

If you are ultra paranoid, drives are getting cheap enough so that you could buy, say and extra 1tb external drive for your really important archival documents, family pictures , etc. and store that off-site somewhere like in a bank safe deposit box to protect your data from theft, fires or acts of god.

"i cant imagine that writing to these massive disks is a quick process. not to mention that the drive and media costs more than the computer probably.

its a great idea though. cant wait to see what is next. "

Well, 1x for Blu rays is in theory 4.5MB/s, 4x means 18MB/s, 128GB's written at 18MB/s will take about 7300s or 121minutes, that's about 2 hours.
The effective speed for USB2.0 can reach 40MB/s, which is still double than the 4x BDXL above.

God knows when these players will get cheap. Probably will have to wait till the time it gets outdated. There are other dics in line who have reached space of 1TB per dics and some even 25TB. They are also cheaper to make then BD. thats what i had read somewhere

Back