Pissed...off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that angers me is knowing my computer has problems and I don't know how to fix them.

Brand new computer. Never been used. Power Supply upgraded from a 350 to a 400. Extra 80GB drive added for a total of 280GB storage space. Everything else is as it was right out of the box. The computer should be having much better performance!

WRONG!!!

Whenever the screen-saver is on for too long, the computer freezes. Ok fine...I'll turn off the screen saver. Little did I know that it wasn't really the screen saver. Just warnings about whats to come....

Last night, I was just on the internet. had AIM open too. Nothing else. And all of a sudden everything is frozen. At first I thought it was the internet, but soon my mouse and keyboard froze. And then finally...a big blue screen popped up saying I had some kind of error.

It said if it was the first time I had the error, I should just restart. Otherwise I should call someone.

Seeing as it was the first time, I just restarted.

After restarting, it goes to the brand-name screen and then goes to a big black screen that says something like:

"There might be a hardware/software installation problem" or something like that. It then gave me some options.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode (w/ option)
Safe Mode (w/ another option)
Use settings you had before the crash (or something like that)
Start Windows Normally

I tried them all and each time the same thing happened. It restarted itself.

In safe mode, once I selected it, a wall of directories list as if it were loading safe mode. It then just stops and the computer restarts itself, going to the same screen.

Everything else, it gets to the Windows XP screen with the travelling green bar thing, and once its finished, it freezes and restarts too.

No matter what I did, the computer kept restarting on its own. I couldn't get to my desktop anymore.

Ok...so perhaps a plug or something got loose. I grab my screwdriver and open the panel and look inside.

Nothing. Everything was left the way I had it when my stepfather and I put the new power supply and drive in.

The computer ran great for the most part for the past 4 days. Why its having this problem, I dunno. And quite frankly, for it being a new computer, I'm pissed as hell. I paid for everything. Its my hard earned money. I do not wanna find out its busted and that nothing can be done anyway because I ruined its warranty because I had opened it and upgraded it.

So...anyone have any suggestions?

by the way...just so I don't get asked later...

1) I'm at my work computer right now. Thats how I'm even on the internet.

2) My basic specs are...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Radeon X200
2.2Ghz
512MB RAM
280GB (2 drives. came with a 200. I added an 80)

Make sure the ram is seated properly. If it is and/or problems still occur. If you have 2 sticks of ram pull one out. If it continues pull it out and put the other in. Or alternatively dl memtest86 and run that on it overnight.

SNGX1275 said:
Make sure the ram is seated properly. If it is and/or problems still occur. If you have 2 sticks of ram pull one out. If it continues pull it out and put the other in. Or alternatively dl memtest86 and run that on it overnight.

I suppose I can give that a try. But how can I dl memtest86 if I cant even get to my desktop anymore?

When you run the downloaded memtest-file (on another PC), it creates a bootable floppy.
Use this to start your troubled PC, after you set it's BIOS to first start from floppy.
If you don't have a floppydrive, borrow one or buy one (about $10.-).

Alright I'll give that a try when I get home. I'll use my stepfather's laptop to download it.

Anything else I can try in case that doesn't work?

Maybe get an Old Windows Boot disk, and load it up. It will start into MS-DOS, then you can try sysrestore and restore your computer incase it had a registery fault.

Its a trial and error (litterally error) process, you have to keep limiting the options down and down to see what the problem is.

Also, you could try downloading a Live Distro like Knoppix (I think ive mentioned this in about 4 other posts ive posted in these past 2days) which will boot from CD and should bypass the problems, so that you can check all your drives are working properly!

Hope this helps

TheFighter

Does the computer work if you take out the hardware you added after purchase? You might be able to get away with saying the computer has developed a fault under warranty if you can make it look asthough you haven't touched the insides. Other than that, get replacement upgrades from the place where you purchased your upgrades (Maybe still under warranty?) :cool:

thefighter said:
Maybe get an Old Windows Boot disk, and load it up. It will start into MS-DOS, then you can try sysrestore and restore your computer incase it had a registery fault.
You seem to forget (here, and in other posts of yours as well) that 99% of all Windows XP installations are on an NTFS file system.
MS-DOS is of absolutely NO use there whatsover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back