Planning New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to build a new machine with a gigabyte motherboard and an amd dual core processor.
Am have a problem matching them up, need some suggestions please. Retail and no more than $100 each.

So would you recommend for a general use machine, no gaming.
And what do you see as short comings to the ones you listed?

Those are excellent selections, but you could go with an X2 5000+ to save some money. But either will do the job for a general-use PC.

Those are excellent selections, but you could go with an X2 5000+ to save some money. But either will do the job for a general-use PC.

Good selection, as I came back this morning to check on the tread, glad he mentioned no gaming, although he could fair well with most games with a decent card.

I think I will try this MB as it has onboard video;
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Will still use the processor listed above. Does this sound OK? Am looking at an Antec case and will probably get one of their power supplies 5-600 watt, that may be a little more than I need but better more than not enough. If any issues with any of this let me know as I need all the help I can get.

Yep, sounds good. For a case and PSU, I recommend getting the Antec Three Hundred, and throw in a Corsair 400CX.

Here is where I am right now(not ordered):

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX - Retail
Model #:ADO5000DOBOX
Item #:N82E16819103211
Return Policy:processors (CPUs) Return Policy
In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
$58.99 $58.99

Update

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX - Retail
Model #:AD775ZWCGHBOX
Item #:N82E16819103300
Return Policy:processors (CPUs) Return Policy
In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
$79.99 $79.99

Update

GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Model #:GA-MA78G-DS3HP
Item #:N82E16813128373
Return Policy:Limited 30-Day Return Policy
In Stock

Note (Add)

Save Cancel
$89.99 -$4.00 Instant $85.99

Update

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
Model #:Sonata III 500
Item #:N82E16811129024
Return Policy:Limited 30-Day Return Policy
In Stock
I have a 200Gb Maxtor SATA hard drive and a 19" Samsung LCD flat screen monitor. Will have to look for a DVD drive and need to find what memory it takes.Any comments or advice?

Thanks for the lead on memory.
I was still undecided about the CPU and was waiting to see if some had a preference.

Operating System

Can I or am I allowed to buy and install a builders or OEM copy on the system above? Newegg has both but quite a difference in price.

Yes, an OEM copy can be used. The only limitation is that it can only be used on that system, and if you want to use it on another system, you'll have to uninstall it from the system where it's currently installed.

What about this warning:
Please note: Installing 4GB onto PCs with 32-bit operating systems is not advised since 32-bit operating systems do not support 4GB of system memory

Is it possible to use it anyway? At that price seems good if only half is used. Can you install only one stick?

You can install all the RAM into the motherboard, but a 32-bit OS will only detect 3-3.5GB. If you're using XP, you don't need more than 2GB of RAM. I found this dirt-cheap (after rebate), good-quality 2GB kit, so if you're using XP, you may want to go with it.

OK have taken all advice and ordered all components this weekend from Newegg and Zipzoomfly so now will wait for all to arrive and check out then the fun will start. Am wondering should I start a new thread with the progress and and all new questions if any on the build?
Thanks for all the help and comments.

Received the Sonata III 500 case yesterday but had a rather unusual experience, it has a lock on the side panel and there was no key any where and upon examining the case for the bag of screws and etc noticed a small cardboard box wedged under the drive trays was finally able to use a coat hanger (after removing the I/O panel) to partially open the box and finally got my wife(small hand) to reach in through the external drive bays and retrieve the bag of goodies and sure enough the keys were in it.
So now am waiting for the memory and DVD drive.

wow that's security

wow that's security - they lock the key inside.
i have done that with my car a few times.

I think I will try this MB as it has onboard video;

Will still use the processor listed above. Does this sound OK? Am looking at an Antec case and will probably get one of their power supplies 5-600 watt, that may be a little more than I need but better more than not enough. If any issues with any of this let me know as I need all the help I can get.

Check these out
Asus M3A78-EM....audio, video, HDMI,VGA, DVI, 5 Sata, +1 eSata copper SB and NBView attachment 41837
AMD 4850e 45watt
For your requirements get a 500 watt PSU
1.8volt memory if you do not plan to overclocl
Make sure your choice of HDD is Sata 3.0gbView attachment 41837

Power Supply problem I think

Got everything put together but when I tried to power up get no response. No indication of power any where, The case fan hooks directly to a ATA power connector and it does not come on. Is there an easy way to check the PSU? I have checked the power cord and have 120v coming to the PSU.

Might be a dumb question, but is the PSU s/w turned on , and set to 110v ?
Also if the PSU is located in the front of your case, sometimes the s/w arrives s from the mfgr in the off position. If that's so, you will have to remove the case's front panel to check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back