Playing DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyriley2

Evening All

I am having problems playing DVD's on my PC. I was wondering if you could help me get to the root cause.

My software is Windows XP and I have
Windows Media 10, Media Monkey, PowerDVD, Nero, Winferno PC Theatre,
Cyberlink DVD,

All seem to have problems. to be honest im not 'well up' on what I need to be able to play DVD's on a PC. I do know thta I need a DVD drive (of which I have an Emprex CD/DVD combo drive)

smileyriley2

software just 'locks up'. I have managed to play some copied DVD's but once I try and FF'wd them they too lock up.

also - some disks just spin until the green light on the front of the PC goes out and nothing happens

I believe I need a Decoder - I looked in my Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup utility and I have 6 in there. 4 have a red X against and 2 have ticks. The 2 with ticks are Cyberlink MPEG and Video decoders.

Can you please give me some knowledge on what decoders I should choose to download as I have previously paid for one via the internet and I dont want pay again.

Please advise

Is this a dvd player,not a burner ?
A dvd-rom player is a seperate drive for playing and reading dvd's.
Put in the dvd,open my computer,right click propertys,
Set your options with the Autoplay tab.

Combos are burners.
http://www.emprex.com/02_products_01.php?group=57&sgroup=65&kind={PG_DOWNLOAD}

When I look in device manager I see DVDRW IDE1108. Is this just a burner (ie unable to view DVD's just burn them?)

I just downloaded Everest and looked up the device - it said it is a DVD+RW/DVD-RW device - this should play DVD's shouldn't it??

I also attach review of drive - http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=232&page=Features

Key note - The drive doesnt seem to like DVD's we have purchased but it will play copy DVD's of films and it played a freebie DVD we got with the Daily Mail????

Please tell me if this can actually PLAY DVD movies on my PC

Many thanks

Burners also are players, so it doesnt matter, there are lots of codek packs on the internet, and some of them are crap, and can contain spyware or malware, also, if you have any dvd copying programs installed, such as dvd43, or something else to remove copy protection from dvd, it can cause problems with trying to play them. i would recomend uninstalling all such programs and then try it.

If your video card is an AGP card, have you installed your mb's AGP drivers.

if not, uninstall your video card's drivers, reboot, install the mb's agp drivers, reboot install the latest video card's drivers, reboot, then try and play the dvd again.

be sure and check the cmos settings to see if the right speed and size of your vid card are correct also....

i had an nvidia card do the same thing and it was just these drivers.

hope it works!

SultanGris said:
Burners also are players, so it doesnt matter, there are lots of codek packs on the internet, and some of them are crap, and can contain spyware or malware, also, if you have any dvd copying programs installed, such as dvd43, or something else to remove copy protection from dvd, it can cause problems with trying to play them. i would recomend uninstalling all such programs and then try it.

I have the klite codec pack and no DVD copying software

ethos1983 said:
If your video card is an AGP card, have you installed your mb's AGP drivers.

if not, uninstall your video card's drivers, reboot, install the mb's agp drivers, reboot install the latest video card's drivers, reboot, then try and play the dvd again.

be sure and check the cmos settings to see if the right speed and size of your vid card are correct also....

i had an nvidia card do the same thing and it was just these drivers.

hope it works!

My Graphics Card is ATI Radeon 9200SE I think this is a AGP - I installed everything in terms of drivers when I purchased the Card a couple of years ago. (not really understanding these procedure you are talking about).

SultanGris said:

I removed my Neor software and the problem still exists.

Please please please reply as Im not getting anywhere with this problem. A bit more on the difinition of the problem.............

When I put a disk in (Finding Nemo, Harry Potter, Ice Age 2, Thunderbirds) the drive spins and the green LED flashes, but in My Computer the drive shows as empty. When I try and play a Demonstration DVD of Firemen Sam (supplied free with The Daily Mail newspaper) it works! The drive also plays copied DVD's.

In summary the drive seems to only want to play copy DVD's or those not copy protected.

What can I do? Please note I am not very well up on computers.

regards
smileyriley2

DVD movie contents

This is what a DVD movie contains.It plays from a PC or Home
DVD "Player"
I have a Sony +- combo,it will not "play this movie"
It just burns dvd's or cd-r's.Thats what Nero is for although it includes a
player software.
But what is on the disks you say you played ?
Attached is a real DVD movie contents.Buy or rental.

zipperman said:
This is what a DVD movie contains.It plays from a PC or Home
DVD "Player"
I have a Sony +- combo,it will not "play this movie"
It just burns dvd's or cd-r's.Thats what Nero is for although it includes a
player software.
But what is on the disks you say you played ?
Attached is a real DVD movie contents.Buy or rental.

The DVD I can play belongs to my son (Firemen Sam) and when explored, the content files are the same as the ones you attached??

SultanGris said:
try downloading and installing this

http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXInstaller.exe

click the link, or copy and paste, after its downloaded, install it.

did that - opened software - and still nothing recognised

Your probably right

smileyriley2 said:
The DVD I can play belongs to my son (Firemen Sam) and when explored, the content files are the same as the ones you attached??
I just read my Sony DVD/CD rewriteable drive instructions.Too much to type here but,
It describes the playing of dvd video problems your haveing.
Do you have a manual,if so read it
or DL one.pdf file
My DVD Player was not that expensive.so i never tried my combo till now.
I'll stick to useing my combo as a burner.

Im afraid I don't have a manual

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

Thats bad news

But as i said,your problem is nothing your doing wrong.Just play what plays
or get a strictly DVD-rom player.
What do you have now besides the one you posted ?
It might not install Windows if the time comes.
One again though,you can download a manual from Emprex.
Never heard of that make,or is it where you bought it ?
Whats written on the disk drawer or named in Sysdm ?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

Emprex is written on the drawer and I tried to download a manual before I posted but the manufacturer doeasn't seem to offer one on their website. It also seems that the company is now BTC http://www.btc.com.tw/english/index.htm

Even theri driver update software doesn't work - this is crap!! *pulls hair out*

One last try

Did you get a cd with it besides The burner software ? It might have the manual on it.
Do you have Nero ? It explains some of this.

My memory doesnt serve me well as it was quite some time ago however I definately got Nero with the drive. I removed the Nero program tonight in a bid to reduce the liklihood of any conflicts. I will re-install and follow your advice.

Don't you have a link to YOUR manual on line so I can have a look at what it says???
Maybe that would b quicker?

I got Nero with it but I uninstalled it today under previous advice. Do you have a link to YOUR manual that I could download???

I didnt meant to advise that u uninstall nero, but that you uninstall any programs designed to copy dvd's with copy protection, such as dvd43, clonedvd, and anydvd, or any other program designed to remove or circumvent copy protection,

This is Nero 6,name yours

smileyriley2 said:
My memory doesnt serve me well as it was quite some time ago however I definately got Nero with the drive. I removed the Nero program tonight in a bid to reduce the liklihood of any conflicts. I will re-install and follow your advice.

Don't you have a link to YOUR manual on line so I can have a look at what it says???
Maybe that would b quicker?

I got Nero with it but I uninstalled it today under previous advice. Do you have a link to YOUR manual that I could download???

Uninstalling Nero has nothing to do with playing except if you uninstalled
the Nero dvd player.The attached is found here,
It describes my Sony combo,not yours.
Program Files\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\InfoTool.exe"
Plus all other usefull items.Like Users guide and Media player,are here, (Your manual)
Start menu,Programs/Nero
Do a complete install.

It does look like you have video player software conflicts. Get into "Set Program Access and Defaults", and look to see what programs are selected for each operation... You may just need to select Microsoft, Non-Microsoft or Custom to reset things.

Lastly you might try another CD/DVD burner... and don't worry, combo burners are great players, no matter what some people say :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back