PlayStation 5 pre-orders sell out in less than 24 hours

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Good news / Bad news: For those who already know they are going to buy a PlayStation 5, the good news is that pre-orders started at 12 am this morning. The bad news is they are also already sold out. You can still wait in line to wait in line, though, if you pre-order your pre-order.

Hours after Sony announced the PlayStation 5's release date and pricing, pre-orders went up for grabs. Several retailers, including Best Buy, Amazon, Target, and GameStop, went live with their pre-order pages for the PS5, but as of right now, good luck finding one available. They all seem to have sold their allotments within less than 24 hours, and there is no indication when or if a new lot will be available.

For example, Amazon's product page says, "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock" for both the standard and digital versions. Target advises customers to check back on launch day, indicating that it does not expect to get any more pre-order units.

At this point, it looks like your only chance is to register with Sony directly. Last month, it posted an invite-only pre-order page on its website. It explains there is a limited quantity of units available. To get an invite, users must register with their PSN ID. So pre-ordering a pre-order has just become a thing with the PS5.

However, even if you sign up, there is no guarantee that you will get an invite. Sony has a selection process for choosing who gets to order based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities," whatever that means. If you do receive an invitation, you may still miss out.

In the company's FAQ, under the question, "If I receive an invitation, am I guaranteed to be able to pre-order a PS5 console," the answer is: "No. Each invitation is open for a limited time and quantities are limited per PSN ID per transaction." This stipulation applies not just to consoles, but also accessories like controllers and headsets.

A shortage of PlayStation 5 units was not unexpected. Earlier this week, we reported that PS5 production was reduced from 15 million units to 11 million, according to Bloomberg. Yesterday, Sony issued a statement refuting shortage claims.

"While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," read the statement. "We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

That may be true but does not explain why less than 24 hours after pre-orders started, none are left. Another possibility is that Sony is intentionally holding back to drive up perceived demand to create marketing hype, but it wouldn't do that, would it?

Permalink to story.

Was able to snatch one on Best Buy last night at 3:30am. It's a shame to see them up in eBay for over $700 already.

Was able to snatch one on Best Buy last night at 3:30am. It's a shame to see them up in eBay for over $700 already.

Lol... that’s nothing. $50000 for a 3080 on eBay. Don’t think the winner of that auction has any intention of actually paying though.

I get early adopters, and people who wanna be first in. But paying that initial price even with it at a loss, for a product that, cmon, we all know is untested in the real world.
Who else is waiting for the blue hue of death? Or the Brown tinge of case stories?

I shall wait for ver.x where price falls, bugs and kinks worked out, software updated, game prices fallen. Anyone buyin from eBay right now really are sad tho.

Ps4 process kept for years without reduction. So there will be no difference or savings here. Warranty is for year or two, so any hardware issue do not matter, will sweep for a new one. Price is good, performance is good, I have pile of ps4 games which I want to play on faster machine.

"They all seem to have sold their allotments within less than 24 hours, and there is no indication when or if a new lot will be available."

If I understand the console business model at all, they'll be selling the PS5 for the next 6 or 7 years. I've never gotten into pre-order consumerism.

The 3080 pre-orders make even less sense. You're not willing to wait two weeks to see what AMD has on offer with RDNA2?

The 3080 pre-orders make even less sense. You're not willing to wait two weeks to see what AMD has on offer with RDNA2?

Nvidia has basically forced everyone looking to upgrade and not interested in getting a 3090 into looking at what AMD has coming unless they can wait for the 3070 in October. Let's be honest though, do you think AMD is going to handle the launch of their new cards any better?

"They all seem to have sold their allotments within less than 24 hours, and there is no indication when or if a new lot will be available."

If I understand the console business model at all, they'll be selling the PS5 for the next 6 or 7 years. I've never gotten into pre-order consumerism.

#1 Because PS and XBOX are far less expensive than the 3080 or a gaming PC, Demand is considerably higher.

#2 the biggest problem with AMD is that I have no idea what RDNA2 or Big Navi actually are. That tells me that they have a problem with advertising. I should know what they are even passively.

I am just glad I got my 3080 (and will get the 3090) because now I needn't worry about these consoles at all.

#1 Because PS and XBOX are far less expensive than the 3080 or a gaming PC, Demand is considerably higher.

#2 the biggest problem with AMD is that I have no idea what RDNA2 or Big Navi actually are. That tells me that they have a problem with advertising. I should know what they are even passively.

I am just glad I got my 3080 (and will get the 3090) because now I needn't worry about these consoles at all.

#1 I agree, but not sure how it relates to my previous comments.

#2 I guess you were in a hurry? We don't know specifics for RDNA2 any more than we knew about the Ampere cards from NVidia until they provided details. Only difference is that NVidia's event was a month earlier. My point was that one month is not very long to wait to have a better understanding of your options. But to each their own. It sounds like you can afford to just buy another card if the AMD options end up being better.

The economy reports stating the economy is bad and everyone is suffering seems be a lie since new releases in tech and gaming fly off the shelves like hotcakes and can't stay in stock.

The economy reports stating the economy is bad and everyone is suffering seems be a lie since new releases in tech and gaming fly off the shelves like hotcakes and can't stay in stock.

Winter is cold this year so global warming must be a lie.
Some people have money so the economy report must be a lie.
There are billions of people who didn’t get the coronavirus so the pandemic must be a lie.

I can go all day with that logic.

Back