PlayStation customers are being denied refunds for Cyberpunk 2077

Polycount

Staff
In context: Despite being in development (on some level) for the better part of a decade, Cyberpunk 2077's recent launch has been less than perfect. Players have praised its world design and gripping story, but the game's quality is marred by progress-halting bugs and numerous missing features.

And that's just across all platforms -- base Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles suffer from even more problems. These range from visual glitches like missing textures to more crippling issues like crashes and sub-18 FPS performance. To make matters worse, CD Projekt Red clearly tried to hide Cyberpunk 2077's sub-par console experience by not showing footage of the game running on base last-gen consoles, while also declining to offer reviewers any pre-launch console copies.

There was a silver lining, though: CD Projekt Red recently announced that console gamers who are unhappy with the Cyberpunk 2077 experience on the Xbox One could seek refunds through their console manufacturer of choice; either PlayStation or Microsoft. For its part, Microsoft has been playing along, and anecdotally granting refunds for the game in as little as one hour.

Sony, on the other hand, has denied just about every request sent its way, insisting that gamers should wait for CD Projekt Red to patch the game instead of seeking their money back; seemingly going against the developer's previous statements.

Sony typically only offers refunds for games that haven't been downloaded or streamed within 14 days of purchase, but it does occasionally make exceptions for games that are truly broken beyond repair. It looks like the company does not feel Cyberpunk 2077 fits into that category, even though some players are facing frequent system crashes during gameplay.

CD Projekt Red says PlayStation gamers can reach out to its customer service team through a dedicated refund help email address, but it might be a while before anyone gets their money back.

"If you own a digital copy on PlayStation, please wait for us to get back to you," CD Projekt Red states in an automated email response. The studio claims that it will get back to all those who reach out "by the end of 2020," but we aren't sure what those responses will entail.

Maybe the developer is in talks with Sony to convince the platform holder to make a one-time exception to its ordinarily-restrictive money-back policy, or perhaps CDPR will offer refunds out of its own coffers -- only time will tell. Either way, if you're a Sony fan who isn't happy with your experience in Night City and you'd like to return CDPR's latest AAA RPG, you can try reaching out to helpmerefund@cdprojektred.com for eventual assistance.

Permalink to story.

I just completed this game after 25 hours of play.

I bought the game based solely on hype and I spent no time actually researching it prior to its release. I bought it and I played through it finally and I have to say that I am absolutely amazed and I give it an A-.

I did experience some bugs and some glitches but that’s to be expected from a game this sophisticated.

I am only thankful that I had a computer powerful enough to be able to run it In ultra/Psycho settings and stream to my YouTube channel.

Yeah: it’s no surprise to me that this game spent so much time in development hell because it was never going to work outside of the PC environment.

The PS 5 and Xbox Series X were the only places beyond the PC that were ever going to be even slightly successful.

Last edited:
Console players are so whiny.

Honestly the game can be a bit janky on both consoles and PC. Regardless of how well it plays. I've been playing it mostly on the Xbox Series X, but have put a few hours in on my Desktop with a GTX1080. Both run the game nicely. But the bugs... Some are funny, others get annoying. I'm sick and tired of my bike getting stuck in other vehicles on the rode when they are in my way during a turn. Also game has really bad AI. Really Really bad AI. It is probably the one area that make wish they spent more time before release.

The game is great and I've had no problem progressing even with the bugs. Nothing but enjoyment.

I don't agree with that users sentiment, but PC Gamers routinely get bad ports. The real important aspect is how the developer responds to it.

No doubt, and I totally get it. I game on PC and console as well. But... my only issue is with that frankly silly statement.

This is on the Dev, users who pay money and can't play the game have every right to be up in arms. Crunch culture, and death threats due to delay's are partially to blame as well.

I just completed this game after 25 hours of play.
25hrs? Did you try to speedrun the main quest? I'm 40hr+ in and only 2/3rd done the main quest. All the side stuff has been keeping me busy for the most part and well worth the finds...

That said, the game on my 1070 runs well enough on medium settings. Only crashed once (though a few bugs were big enough that I had to restart the game a few times).

Unfortunate that Sony is alone in not providing better customer support...

Must be disheartenedly for the console folks who can;t play it.Time marches on though and catches up with the old machines...not really much to be done there because the modders will leave that out.
So far so good I say.

25hrs? Did you try to speedrun the main quest? I'm 40hr+ in and only 2/3rd done the main quest. All the side stuff has been keeping me busy for the most part and well worth the finds...

That said, the game on my 1070 runs well enough on medium settings. Only crashed once (though a few bugs were big enough that I had to restart the game a few times).

I didn't speedrun, but I did stick mostly to the main quest rather than grinding the side missions.

I got Widow Maker, Skippy, Divided We Stand, Overwatch, (Legendary) Monowire, and Scalpel.

I will say this: SKIPPY alone is so ridiculously powerful that you can take out just about anybody.

Divided We Stand and Overwatch can pretty much deal with everyone else - especially if you upgrade them.

I moved through the game in a breeze. Very few deaths.

My only issue is that you get very little money in the game and everything's ridiculously expensive.

If I play through the game again, I'll get SATORI early on so I can slash everyone up and balance that out with Skippyy, Widowmaker and Overwatch.

the problem I do see (now) is that SKIPPY can only kill 50 people before permanently switching modes, which means you have to start in the pacifist mode and let it switch to Cold Blooded Killer Mode.

In Cold Blooded Killer Mode, pretty much no one can stop you. You've got a handgun, with plentiful handgun ammo launching missiles that specifically aim for the head. It's so easy to kill people it's a breeze.

I didn't speedrun, but I did stick mostly to the main quest rather than grinding the side missions.

I got Widow Maker, Skippy, Divided We Stand, Overwatch, (Legendary) Monowire, and Scalpel.

I will say this: SKIPPY alone is so ridiculously powerful that you can take out just about anybody.

Divided We Stand and Overwatch can pretty much deal with everyone else - especially if you upgrade them.

I moved through the game in a breeze. Very few deaths.

My only issue is that you get very little money in the game and everything's ridiculously expensive.

If I play through the game again, I'll get SATORI early on so I can slash everyone up and balance that out with Skippyy, Widowmaker and Overwatch.

the problem I do see (now) is that SKIPPY can only kill 50 people before permanently switching modes, which means you have to start in the pacifist mode and let it switch to Cold Blooded Killer Mode.

In Cold Blooded Killer Mode, pretty much no one can stop you. You've got a handgun, with plentiful handgun ammo launching missiles that specifically aim for the head. It's so easy to kill people it's a breeze.
I'm mainly a blades/stealth/cold blood build and I'd say take Mantis Blades out for a spin. The lunge alone makes it more fun than a sword.

And I just got Skippy. Made him passive so that I could take out cyberpsychos without killing them (as it was more convenient than beating them down with a blunt weapon lol). Definitely amusing otherwise.

Also, few deaths? You must be getting lucky that you don't get exploded by random environment explosives. Explosives have randomly insta-killed me more times than anything else...

Wait, so a company release s a game for a console, said game is literally unplayable, and somehow that is the console peoples fault? Typical PCMR sheep talk right there ;)

I never said they were at fault just whine a lot for one game that doesn't run well on their system compared to the dozens of broken console ports that comes to the PC.

If you buy a game before reviews are available, that is ALL on your stupid ***

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/revi...view-ps4-xbox-one-price-size-gameplay-2338569

You know you don't have to preorder, right?

When will people learn to use their brain first?

Last edited:

I think that sony is doing a good thing. Cdpr should realise that people have not got any refunds and work on fixing the game other than relaxing. This should also put them in a better light if and when done. There's a certain level of abandon towards this game that I'm sensing from cdpr. Was Nvidia that hard to work with?

I think that sony is doing a good thing. Cdpr should realise that people have not got any refunds and work on fixing the game other than relaxing. This should also put them in a better light if and when done. There's a certain level of abandon towards this game that I'm sensing from cdpr. Was Nvidia that hard to work with?
No, denying refunds isn't a good thing. The dev losing money is more of an incentive lol

And if you know anything about CDPR, they support their game for a while with fixes and content. Look at The Witcher 3.

No, denying refunds isn't a good thing. The dev losing money is more of an incentive lol

And if you know anything about CDPR, they support their game for a while with fixes and content. Look at The Witcher 3.
If non refunds are a policy at sony, then I have no problem with it. It only means you should be more careful before making a purchase next time. It also means cdpr should be clear about the game's performance on last gen console for any future release. I think the executives have put so much pressure onto the developers.
"Apply for a refund for your copies from your respective console vendors."
They sound so "tired".

Last edited:
Back in 2013 BF4 was release and my PC met the minimum spec. Unfortunately it was pretty much unplayable (not even the test range worked well enough). So a £40 game ended up costing a lot more to get to work (it was the CPU that was too weak so not even a GPU upgrade would have stopped the problems - I carried the GPU into a new motherboard and CPU and the game ran fine).
Consoles are pretty much mass produced PCs these days (different OS but x86 architecture) - the base PS4 and Xbox are the low spec machines that don't meet the actual minimum spec of the game. From CDProjecktred - minimum AMD specs: AMD FX-8310, 8GB Ram, Radeon RX 470 4GB with 70GB of SSD space.
Base PS4 has an 8 Core Jaguar CPU - so weaker than the 8310. Only 8GB total ram - need 8GB system ram and minimum 3 GB VRam and a slow HDD. Which ever way you are looking at it you can't fit a quart in a pint jug. Dropping the resolution will only go so far if the coding requires better cpu IPC and more total system memory.
Back on topic - yes Sony should give refunds for those that request them and it will take a few tricks learned from the Switch port of Witcher 3 to get the game playable on the base consoles.

Might try it again on either my Series X later (if I didn't upgrade my PC by then) or better PC, but definitely after good patching takes place. Was not impressed with game design so far and graphically it doesn't impress at all despite being so tough on hardware.

From what ive seen of s4 gameplay, its virtually unplayable. Bugs are one thing, but showstopping bugs, insanely long load times, and constant framerate drops make a game uplayable.

This game was flat out not ready. I cant feel too bad for consoomers though, since we only have 15 years of experience to tell us thatdevs should not be trusted until the reviews are out, and even then wait for independent reviewers to give their statements too. STOP. PREORDERING. GAMES.

I only bought the game to get a $99 Chromecast Ultra with a Stadia controller for free. So I really just spent $59 for a Stadia Premier. That aside, I've been playing Cyberpunk because I have it now and I've really enjoyed it. I run it in Google Chrome on my PC and it plays smooth as butter with a keyboard and mouse or an Xbox One controller. It's hard to believe you can stream a game so smoothly nowadays. The game puts me in mind of Johnny Mnemonic and Bladerunner. Never thought I'd like it so much! I've not experienced any game-breaking bugs on the Stadia build, but I've seen plenty of bugs. It's automatically updated, load times are comparable to my NVMe drive on my gaming computer. I didn't have to download ANYTHING and it's ready to play wherever I go. I don't have any complaints. It's changed my negativity toward Stadia, honestly, and now I'm excited to get the Premier bundle in a few days.

Last edited:
I had a feeling Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be a CF, which is unfortunate, as CDPR is one of the few companies in the industry I have anything bordering on good feelings for.

Back