Please help. Amd Processor is too hot. please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTechie316

I have a brand new amd athlon 3400 processor in my my new computer. The processor came with a retail heatsink and it said i need to use that one or the warrenty would void. So I put the processor on and put the heatsink on and everything went on right. I'm monitoring my computer and the cpu temp is at 63 C when its using 100% load. When it's not its has about 49 - 51 C temp. I ran Prime 95 for about 3 hours and the proccesor stayed at about 63 - 64 C with no errors. But now I installed cpuidel and prime runs at
59 C. So the processor is stable, it just needs to lower the temp. How can i lower the temp. I was told to remove the heatsink and get a nice one and put arcitc thermal compound on it. I think its just the retail heatsink is so crappy. It even came with a pad insted of paste. What can I do?

ComputerTeen said:
I ran Prime 95 for about 3 hours and the proccesor stayed at about 63 - 64 C with no errors. But now I installed cpuidel and prime runs at
59 C. So the processor is stable, it just needs to lower the temp.
Why does it need lower temperature if it works fine?

Because someone told you that the temperature must not exceed 60°C?

I have an AMD Athlon XP-M running at full load at about 72°C and I'm not complaining ;)

63C is normal for AMDs. Go to their website and they will tell you what the tolerances are.

Or get a better CPU fan. As long as you're not overclocking, you have nothing to worry about.

AMDs run hot. I have a 2500+ XP non-overclocked that runs around 44C under normal loads.

I had a 3200+ XP that I overclocked (until I pushed it too far.) But it typically ran around 65C

No use running CPUIdle, unless it is an Athlon XP.
For AMD64, run the Cool'n'Quiet option from the BIOS.

FYI, I run an AMD64-3000 with stock cooler at 39 C idle, 44-45 under load.
Cool'n'Quiet is enabled.
Case is Lian-Li aluminium with 2x80mm fans in, 1x80mm out, plus the 1x120mm out from the powersupply.
Case-temp 33 C, room temp 27 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back