Please help :( various BSODs since July... (minidumps incl.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms13381

Hi there (this is my first post here).
My story is a bit complicated and I asked a lot of people for help but no one seems to know what the problem is - maybe you could help me. Sorry for my English - it's a bit rusty. I am also a woman and a blonde so I hope you'll be understanding ;)

My computer was running just fine and without any problems for more than 2,5 years (the configuration was: Intel Celeron 2,6 Ghz/80 GB Samsung SV0802N /Palit GeForce 4 MX 64 MB AGPx8/512 Kingston DDR 333/some unknown VIA chipset MOBO/Win XP Home SP1). At the end of June I bought a second stick of RAM which was also a Kingston 512 DDR 333 (I didn't have dual so I didn't care if they were _exactly_ the same). I also got a new ATI Radeon 9550 AGP 8x 128 MB card to replace my old GeForce (and to play HoMM V :). It all worked fine for about a week until I moved to a new place with the computer and then it started to make long beeps at start-up (not all the time though - sometimes it was possible to turn it on). It seemed that some parts might have got loose or detached but it all looked fine when I opened it, there wasn't much dust but I cleaned it as well.

Finally I managed to find out that it is some sort of RAM issue (I turned on the computer without the first and the second stick of RAM and without the ATI card). When I switched the sticks, it all worked ok until I tried to run any programs :) - then it restarted immidiately. And finally when I tried to insert just one stick at a time into the first slot, there was some smoke and my MOBO got burnt along with one of the RAM sticks (the old one).

I got the MOBO replaced by the manufacturer of the computer - I have ASUS P4S800 MX now - and managed to get them to reactivate my Win licence (it was OEM). They told me that everything is working ok and that the new stick of RAM is also 100% ok.

It worked ok - FOR 1 DAY and from the end of July till today I have constant BSODs - each time a different error (0000008e,000000f4, etc.), you name it , I had it. Sometimes it gives the names of the files - I often had ntfs.sys and win32k.sys errors, sometimes some dlls from ATI and ndis.sys. Sometimes I can use it for hours and sometimes for 15 minutes until the BSOD appears, but there is at least one every day. At first it restarted by itself but I turned it off and then I started to get the BSODs.

What I did so far (and it didn't help):
- I checked my RAM (my main suspect) with memtest, windiag and Prime95 - no errors. I have only one stick at the moment so I can't replace it with anything, at least until I'm not sure that it is faulty RAM
- I had Windows reinstalled with and without SP2
- I checked my HDD for errors and found none and also defragmented it
- I installed the latest drivers for my ATI card
- I'm not overclocking and nothing is overheating, there is no dust in the computer.

After I've sent some of my error reports to Microsoft, I got these 2 messages from the Online Crash Analysis:

1) Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.

2) Hardware failure: replace failed component

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

The error was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error which forced the operating system to stop functioning.

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, unfortunately the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. More than likely the problem is being caused by problems with one or more of the following computer components:

Random Access Memory (RAM)
System board
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
Power supply
Recommendations

If you have received this error more than once, it could indicate a serious problem with your computer. We recommend that you do the following:

Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failures.
Contact the original manufacturer of your computer or your local computer repair shop. Either will have advanced hardware diagnostics to determine the specific component which is failing.

I have some minidumps until the last Windows reinstallation but I'm not able to tell from them what the problem is (I managed to attach only the last 4 ones, the rest is here: http://rapidshare.de/files/32673653/Minidump.zip.html ). I'd be grateful if someone could analyse them and tell me WHAT IS WRONG? The computer is old (and I KNOW it so please don't tell me that) so I'm not sure whether I should fix it at all but I'd like to know which parts are ok and I can't afford a new computer at the moment...

I sincerely hope that at least 1 person was able to read all this :) Please, please help me.

Hi and welcome to the TS Forum.

Firstly let me congratulate you on what has to be the most indepth first post I have ever read in all my time of being here.

So your problem comes down to what I think may be a PSU issue, after all you have done your home work in a thoroughness I wouldn't expect from a blonde (just joking), I'm taking a look at your dumps, but I expect them to point to the same problem as you have already listed above.

Until I reply with an analysis, try removing any thing not needed on the board such as CD \DVD drives, and any cards you dont need, along with any extraneous fans.

This may cut down on the power being drawn by the PSU and may relieve your problem on a temp basis, also visit this site for a free PSU calcualtor, (look on the PSU for its wattage).

I'll be back later..

Hi, thanks for your reply.

So do you think that maybe after replacing the MOBO for a bit better model (the previous one was some cheap Biostar? - never heard of it) the power supply (I have only 300 W) may not be enough for the "new" computer? It was the only thing that was changed as far as hardware is concerned. Apart from the MOBO, CPU, ATI card and 1 stick of RAM I have also only 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW and 1 FDD, I haven't installed any external usb drives (I have a SD card reader and a DVD RW USB drive) after the latest Win XP reinstallation because it's not working anyway so why bother... I'll try to remove the ATI card first because my MOBO has integrated graphics and maybe then the drives.

Some additional info:
The installed software is an absolute minimum at the moment just so I could work on it - Win XP SP1 (again), Office 2003, antivirus software (free AVG Avira), firewall (Zone Alarm), IE 6 + Maxthon and some ATI programs that came with the card - but I get the message from Microsoft about "error caused by device driver" every day, the second message about hardwre failure appeared only once. I've heard that ATI card drivers generally cause a lot of problems and system crashes so maybe it's the card if not the PSU...?

ms13381 said:
Hi, thanks for your reply.
maybe it's the card if not the PSU...?

HI
I said it may be a flaky PSU , the wattage should be suffucient, do you have access to another you could try it with, they go quite cheap these days and its always handy to have a spare knocking round.

Just on my dinner at the moment, I will take a look at the dumps when I get home tonight...

Regards

just a reminder.. :)

Hi,
unfortunately I don't have any other PSU but I could buy one, they're quite cheap...
Could you look at my dumps first? I think the ones that I attached won't be very useful so please look at the file I put here: http://rapidshare.de/files/32673653/Minidump.zip.html (it's all I have, there were no BSODs yesterday but I'm trying not to get used to it :) )

EDIT: and there goes another one. Something new this time:
0x0000007E, vsdatant.sys
and another MOCA report: error caused by device driver...
Also I think tham most of my minidumps showed ntoskrnl.exe but I still am not sure what it means. Waiting for the analysis...

Asking for help - again....

Please, could someone else take a look at my dumps and tell me what's going on with my computer? I'm still having the same problems and I need my computer for work (I work in an interactive agency and I often take my work home) not just for fun or games so it's really, really important to me! At the moment I can't even use e-mail or a web browser...

I have some new minidumps (you can find all of them since August here: http://rapidshare.de/files/33242897/Minidump.zip.html ) and I got the "hardware failure" message from Microsoft again (this crash didn't leave a minidump though):

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=29b8076b-17bd-4b62-aaba-f9e8c543ced6&SID=571

Anyone?

PS: Just had another BSOD - minidump is attached...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back