Please help with BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxnight

Hello,

I found this website by accident and I am sorry to post my problems here, even though it's my first post. English is not my first language, so please be lenient on any obvious mistakes I make. :)

Yesterday I bought a new PC, after I had to return another one I bought two days earlier. The problem I am about to mention has been consistent on both.

This is the first system I have with Vista and I get BSODs randomly, usually after about 2-3 hours, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. The only things I installed on both systems are:

- Belkin USB WLAN Adapter driver for Vista
- Winamp
- VCL Medie Player
I googled every shred of information, but I have to admit that my computer knowledge is too limited to make much sense of it. So, I humbly turn to this board for help.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I know I shoudl attach my minidump files, but when I try Vista tells me that I don't have permission to open those files.

Google Vista to learn how to set for Administration Rights. The Minidumps will really help here.

Try this diagnostic step by first completely uninstalling the following:
- Belkin USB WLAN Adapter driver for Vista
- Winamp
- VCL Medie Player
Then re-install one at a time. Start with the Belkin and run it for awhile? Any BSODs? If so therein could be your cause. If not then add Winamp and so on.

* By the way, your English is very good. :)

Thank you for the quick help. I enabled the "super secret" admin account and now I able to upload the minidump files. :)

Though I have to use rapidshare, because the forums have a limit of 200KB.

It seems I need a post count of at least 5 to post links, so that doesn't work either.

If you use the ZIP file option under the Manage Attachment button found at the bottom of your next post, you can post those files because Zip will compress them. Please place 5 of the latest into the Zip folder; don't individually Zip them.

Try zipping them again because when I go to unzip I get a warning message that the Header is Corrupt and thus I can't open.

Have you scanned for infections? Do that first.

I scanned the system this afternoon, but McAfee didn't find anything.

This ZIP is compressed with the usual compression rate. I did the first one with a higher rate, because I thought else it would be too big.

Okay, from reading your minidumps (obviously the regular Zip compression worked) the thing that stands out the most is the Atheros wireless driver athrxusb.sys. But you have Belkin so I did further research only to discover that this driver is also packaged with Belkin products..

Take into consideration that one of the Windows driver for networking/internet connection nwifi.exe was also cited I believe we can safely narrow it down to your Belkin Wireless.

See this link that I forgot about until my research brought it up: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic121221.html

Seems Vista and this driver have issues.

* If this isn't the case we'll try something different.

I just did a quick search on the Belkin site and found another thread about my adapter (F5D7050 Version 4). It seems that it's not supported for Vista 64.

Would you say I need to buy a new one or is there any chance that I can find a working (unsupported) driver?

EDIT: I think I will just buy a new one. Would you be so kind to tell me quickly how to get rid of everything that might cause the BSODs with my old adapter (driver and other entries)?

Go the cheaper route first and search for a unsupported working driver (I wouldn't know where to begin though). Many times Windows will flag a driver because they didn't get $ from a vendor for verification of said drivers. M-Audio's new driver for their 5 year old Revolution 5.1 Sound Card ran into this, but it works.

Otherwise get an adapter that works. Let us know what you choose and if it works out.

Edit Update: Download the latest version of CCleaner. It is free and its removal/uninstall Tool is often better than Windows. Find your Belkin and uninstall. Remove anything Belkin card wise.

I will keep you updated after I get a new one (if I don't find an unsupported driver). The weird thing is that this driver works, but still seems to cause BSODs.

Thanks for all the help so far. :)

Hello,

I uninstalled the Belkin adapter yesterday and let the system run for about 12 hours. No BSOD! It seems you found the culprit.

Now I bought an AMV Fritz WLAN Adapter, which is officially supported and hopefully I won't have any problems.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Great! You're welcome and thanks for getting back to us. This thread will probably help others in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back