Please help with my crashed hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a major problem with my laptop and am hoping that someone can help me. Please bear with me because I know as much about laptops/computers as my grandmother and basically have no understanding of computer jargons.

This laptop is HP Pavilion ZX5000 and a few weeks ago, I could hear this really loud screeching noise coming from the bottom of the laptop, then it eventually crashed. It seemed like it was coming from my dvd/cd drive and I took it to a friend of mine who’s pretty knowledgeable with computers.

Anyway, it turns out, or he thinks, the hard drive crashed for some reason. He tried to run a diagnostic test through what’s called BIOS but to no avail and he says it’s not recognizing the hard drive.

So here is where it stands right now. Every time I turn it on, I can clearly hear some grinding noise from my hard drive. I have taken out the hard drive and while it seems like there may be a loose part, but it could be a little part that goes up and down (not sure what that’s called) and I wouldn’t even be able to know what’s wrong with it anyway.

And the screen that I get reads as follows:
For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PEX-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

This screen repeats itself over and over.

As I said, my friend tried to go into BIOS and somehow got into a screen that reads HDD Self-Test but he said he can’t run it as it reads, Test Status: NO IDE Device.

Does anybody know what’s going on with my laptop? It’s somewhat understandable as I’ve had it for a couple of years now, but really can’t afford to buy a new one either.

He says that one option is to buy a new hard drive and I found some on various sites for sale and the refurbished or used ones are not too expensive. Is that the solution? If I buy the same model and just place it back in my laptop, would that do the trick?

I would appreciate anyone’s help on this matter. Again, my computer knowledge is almost non-existent so I would appreciate hearing back in a very simple understandable language. Thank you in advance.

Sarah

By the way the hard drive is TOSHIBA 80GB MK8025GAS

:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Yes, your only real option appears to be to buy a new Hard drive. Personally, I wouldn't normally recommend a refurbished one or a used one, purely because you can't tell what condition it's in. That's entirely up to you and what you can afford though.

8mb or 2mb? 4200RPM or 5200?

Hi thanks for all the help.
I've done some search in combination with your input and I guess what I need is a replacement (and I'll try to get a brand new one instead of a refurbished or used) which has to be 2.5 form factor.
I'm still stuck on whether or not to get a 40GB, 60, or 80.
My question is does it make a difference whether it's 4200 RPM which is what I had versus a 5200RPM? And does it make a difference whether it's a 2MB which is what I had versus a 8MB?
And does it matter that I burn dvds on this laptop? Does the lower numbers (4200RPM and 2MB) slow down the process or have any affect on the quality?

A 5400 RPM hard drive is roughly 30% faster than a 4200RPM hard drive. The cache size does not make a difference.

The slowness of the hard drive affects DVD burning only when the data is badly fragmented or in thoudsands of small files.

which one should i get?

1. I’m pretty much set on what I will get but the question is which manufacturer makes the best hard drive or how has the reputation of making a good one. The following link has the list of hard drives I’ll probably end up purchasing. Except the top one, they all pretty much have identical features. They are 8MB, 5200 RPM, and 60 GB. I guess out of these manufacturers, which one you would recommend (Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba, Seagate, and Western Digital).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5507777+1309721213&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=380

2. It seems like they all come with a 3 year manufacturer warranty but they also have another set of one year or two years service net replacement plan. Do you guys have any idea what the difference between the two warranties? (the 3 year manufacturer and the service net replacement plan). I can’t distinguish the difference between the two. And do you guys usually get these warranties?

Seagate has a very good reputation and you just can't beat the 5-year warranty :)

With 3 or more years of manufacturer warranty, paying extra for that Net Replacement is not really worth it.

Spike said:
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Yes, your only real option appears to be to buy a new Hard drive. Personally, I wouldn't normally recommend a refurbished one or a used one, purely because you can't tell what condition it's in. That's entirely up to you and what you can afford though.
I can't see what there would be to refurbish. Either it works or it doesn't. Cleaning the connections and testing it are the only things I would assume. Am I wrong?

refurbish the disc' change them out new pickup heads
new boards
I am not perivy to the inner works of major hdd companys ,but a guess would be
a low end tested new drive is what they send you
don't think it would be worth it for them to replace and fix the drive
they may sell them to a big vender who then does the (refurbishing) and resales
buy new retail not oem

sounds like it would cost more to refurbish than to repair. I can only see this as a solution for extremely large drives (half a TB and larger).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back