2. Intel

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
By spartanslayer
Nov 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poll on AMD vs Intel

Here is a poll on AMD processors vs Intel processors.
  2. Spike

Spike Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,371

I've voted Athlon, because I am assuming you are looking at a 32bit processor comparison, with processors you can't really get hold of as easily as you once could :)

If you meant AMD I'd vote for them too, purely because I prefer the ethos the company has appeared to have being the underdogs to Intel, and the fact that I don't like the apparent Intel/Microsoft relationship. At that point I'd mention that AMD and Intel are both chip makers, and if you wanted a processor comparison, then you'd have to offer a list of comparable processors and give a situation in which to compare them (multitasking, seti type stuff, gaming, general usage, etc, etc.), because each processor family has different qualities and uses - and some cpus by Intel are better than equivelants by AMD at certain tasks, and vice versa.

But, with all that said, I voted for Athlon :D
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

I love cheering for the underdog, especially when the underdog is a better team. And for my needs AMD is the better team. Admittedly, AMD is not the best for everyone. There are some applications where it is better to get INTEL.

Now we need a poll on Vancouver Canucks vs. Colorado Avalanche.

[off topic police alert!!!!]
  4. Spike

Spike Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,371

Can we have one for "Wales vs England", and one for "The Pope vs The Queen" too? :D
  5. smtkr

smtkr Newcomer, in training Posts: 138

Intel is a company; Athlon is a product line
  6. spartanslayer

spartanslayer Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 464

I mean AMD

Man you guys are so picky. Of course I meant AMD vs Intel. And I'm only comparing the processors!
  7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

& this has been debated so often that it's really worthless to do so again. Pretty soon it will go down the drain. You can be sure us mods will lock it before it gets ugly though, be warned.
  8. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

Weeelll

DonNagual=Colorado Avalanche
    Spike=1.Wales,,,,I am welch
    2.Queen
    & of course AMD=INTEL, I like both
    :D
  9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Well said Didou.

AMD and Intel both produce very good cpu`s.

I`ve heard it said that if you want to play games then choose AMD. If on the other hand you do a lot of number crunching video editing etc, then choose Intel.

I`m not sure how much of the above holds true.

Regards Howard :)
  10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I work for Intel and I'll tell you AMD makes a better CPU at the moment. :haha:

Intel's been behind for a bit actually, but I'm thinking their their upcoming CPUs (like the Conroe), Intel will be much more even, if not ahead. Should be an interesting first quarter, 2006. ;)

That kind of stuff is just propaganda. The same is said about Macs even though things have changed drastically - You still hear people tout the multimedia capabilities of Apple. It's not really true. But everyone has their camp and they like to pitch up tents there.

Each CPU has its ups and downs, but for where it counts... Performance, price and features... AMD is currently on top.
  11. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,120

I like AMDs as well, rarely have issue at all. Although for most purposes I would suggest always replacing the stock heatsink/fan with an aftermarket one.
  12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

13. SOcRatEs

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    Too kewel

14. Vigilante

Googlefight, lol that's funny.

Intel only wins because more people search for Pentium problems. haha
  15. hewybo

hewybo TechSpot Maniac Posts: 570

I was told by a Guru (self-proclaimed) that AMD is better for "throughput", but that Intel "thinks" better. UH....... I'm new to all this, but my ex-wife works for Intel, and she doesn't like me, so I'll stick with Intel! (What'd he say?)
  16. coastymad

coastymad Newcomer, in training Posts: 122

I have only ever owned AMD processors, (including in my laptop) so I obviously can't say which is best.
  17. Vigilante

Who ever really notices those very few points that AMD or Intel wins over each other at the same speed and class?

I first started using AMD when I realised that they stick to their design slots WAY longer then Intel does. Think about it. At first, AMD was making CPUs for Intel slots way after Intel stopped. Then Intel started the licensing crap which forced AMD to make it's own slot. So Intel has had like Socket 1-8, Pentium Pro, Super Socket 7, Slot 1, Slot 2, Socket 378, Socket 423(with fizzled out RDRAM), 478, and on and on. But AMD has had like, what, 2? Slot A, Socket A, for 32bit. Then the fizzled out 754, and now 939 and 940 for 64bit. I like AMD cause you know there will be lots of upgrade options. They tend to stay with a socket much longer then Intel, which is nice.

And maybe I don't have all my details strait, but this is how it looks to me.
  18. smtkr

AMD has more than Intel since the AthlonXP came out.

AMD Intel
    ------------
    462 423
    754 478
    940 LGA775 (or something like that)

And I think AMD is getting ready to launch another one (kind of like Intel's LGA). Maybe Intel is too. I don't pay attention anymore. Computers are a hobby for which I cannot justify the cost anymore.

/ME is switching to consoles and bargain computers
  19. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

A more accurate time would show you why AMD might be trusted to hold their platforms longer. Socket A (462) was the flagship socket for AMD for a duration of about 4 years. Intel hasn't had that luxury since AMD picked up steam.
  20. not_4(.SALE.)10

not_4(.SALE.)10 Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

OK this has been bothering me i checked it out for gods sake im having trouble on my homework. Their both so very good y i say y............
    well i have an AMD processor but not old enough to buy a good AMD processor so my cosant builds computers at his home job hes told me mainly the basic to each so im going with intel but that choice is from facts....
  21. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

the k5 i once had left me hating AMD for years, but thier products have evolved into something better than the best intel designs in the the last year or so.
  22. smtkr

What would be a more accurate time? It seems like the past 3 years should be a good enough time to show a trend that is important. If you want to look at ancient history, the pentium rocks and 3dfx is king of graphics. Things change.

Besides, I was merely pointing out that upgrading is no longer a given with AMD interfaces.

Like I said, I've been out of the game for years. the last PC that I built was my AthlonXP 2400+ with GeForce 4 Ti4200 (in Dec. 2002).
  23. Vigilante

AMD hasn't abandoned those sockets though. Chips are still being made for them. Though the 939 or 940 (whatever the diff is), would be my choice over the 754, which they may only be making budget chips for.

And is it just me, but does AMD seem to make much better heatsink clips? Somehow I have this thought that Intel clips are almost scary to clamp down. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to crush the CPU right through the motherboard with the pressure on some of those.
  24. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

25. SOcRatEs

E-prom, ZIF, Socket, Slot, Pga

Socket Types

Each range of CPU fits into a specific socket on your motherboard. motherboards are design with one socket type and cannot be made to take another.

The table below identifies all the major CPU interfaces from the time of Intel's Socket 1, the first "OverDrive" socket used by Intel's 486 processor in the early 1990s:
    This does not take into account for
    the earlier 286 & 386 integrated cpu's with & without Math co-processors.
    Take a look HERE for the really old stuff
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.