Potential Sandy Bridge system purchase... new PSU or try it on Antec 550w?

Arris

Sourced from Overclockers.co.uk

Intel i7 2600k - ~£300 (not listed yet but should be within £20-30 of this price)
Asus P8P67 DELUXE - £199.99
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) - £129.98
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s - £214.45
Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower Case - Black [CC600T] - £132.76
Corsair TX 750W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750TXUK) - £91.91

Total : ~£1069.09

Using Radeon HD5850 from current machine.

Only other thoughts are that I have an old Lian-Li midi case for ATX boards, so could perhaps use that and save on a case. It has an older Antex TruPower 550w PSU in it, so if I picked up some cheap Molex to Sata power cables I could try running it without buying a new PSU. What do you think?

I think 550w might be pushing it slightly, though I'm not entirely sure, so best wait for it to be confirmed by someone else.

Maybe dump the case (your Lian Li will be plenty good enough) and grab a couple of Spinpoint F3 1TB hard disks for storage?

Or get a decent aftermarket cooler for your new CPU?

Thanks Leeky, might try the Antec 550w first, then get a better PSU if needed after. But first they need to release the processors!!! Roll on Sunday the 9th! Got a 2TB WD backup NAS type solution so storage isn't a problem. Have a 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint from the old system that I might pull out of it. Depends whether I try and keep the old Shuttle Q6600 system up and running.

If you plan to overclock or think there is any possibility of adding a second HD5850 then the Corsair TX 750W leaves those options open. Also think 550W is cutting close even though the Sandy Bridge processors are more power efficient. If I had to sacrifice anything out of the proposed configuration it would be the case.

That's going to be a very nice rig.

If you plan to overclock or think there is any possibility of adding a second HD5850 then the Corsair TX 750W leaves those options open. Also think 550W is cutting close even though the Sandy Bridge processors are more power efficient. If I had to sacrifice anything out of the proposed configuration it would be the case.

That's going to be a very nice rig.

Might order the corsair just in case. Then return it if it isn't needed, assuming overclockers.co.uk allow that :)

Although I'll check out what the retail HSF and aftermarket ones are like since the Lian-Li i have is an old midi/mini case (Lian-Li PC-50) that had a weird side mounting PSU solution that didn't leave much space above the CPU - https://www.techspot.com/gallery/pc-hardware26-modding-pics/p299-new-install-of-asus-k8.html

Didn't realise how old the case is. Originally had a Athlon Tbred 2100+ in it - https://www.techspot.com/gallery/pc-hardware26-modding-pics/p292-inside-my-lian-li-pc-50.html

That would be nice if you have the return option on the power supply. I buy most everything from newegg and they have a standard 30 day return for refund (plus restocking fee) on most items.

BTW, you're not the only old timer around here ... my first build was a Heath-Zenith 8088 kit with dual 5.25 floppies :)

That would be nice if you have the return option on the power supply. I buy most everything from newegg and they have a standard 30 day return for refund (plus restocking fee) on most items.

BTW, you're not the only old timer around here ... my first build was a Heath-Zenith 8088 kit with dual 5.25 floppies :)

Now that is old. Although I still have an Atari 800 with 48k ram from when I was 7 :D but technically that isn't "my first build". Think that was a 386...

i would recommend the corsair supply especially if that other power supply is over 2 years old as the capacitors could have aged a bit leaving the power supply weaker than it would be in new condition.

Antec true power is a good powersupply, I personally wouldn't bother changing it unless you get BSOD's (warning, this is my opinion, there is no technical foundation).

Have you seen the numbers on the new sandforce controller?
Seems to be quite high at about 500mb/s read/write.

Have you seen the numbers on the new sandforce controller?
Seems to be quite high at about 500mb/s read/write.

Nope, haven't seen anything on them. But they will probably be at a premium price and I can always grab another SSD later, Would be tempted to get a size that can be stuffed into my laptop so I can "upgrade".

Looking at the differences between the P67 Deluxe and the P67 Pro on the asus.com compare tool I think I might save £50 and grab the Pro version, seems I could live without the few features extra the Deluxe provides (Maxwell Sata 6gb HyperDuo feature - Supposedly uses a HDD and SSD like a hybrid disk, Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC instead of Realtek® ALC889, VIA® 6315N firewire instead of VIA® 6308P). To be honest I can't spot what the £50 higher price is for....

Unless the Antec is one of the new TruePower PSUs (i.e. it's not a TruePower 2.0), you shouldn't bother running your system off it.

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor with FREE Lost Planet 2 PC Game - Retail £220.30
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1) £160.74
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) £122.39
Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower Case - Black £108.33
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) £106.06
Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750HXUK) £94.16
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SATA-II 2.5" 7200RPM 32MB £90

£1083 including UK VAT

Ordered and on it's way (Seagate Hybrid will probably make it's way to my laptop, just want to see how quick it is)

Nice ... think you did a really good job balancing out the components. Am also curious to see your results with the Seagate Momentus.

glad you decided to get the better psu u nevre want to reuse an old psu if its over 2 years old like i stated so gl with the system and hope it works out great i think i will be upgrading to sandy bridge in February i still dont see and of the new cpus on newegg so idk how you ordered them but oh well.

i still dont see and of the new cpus on newegg so idk how you ordered them but oh well.

As stated in the first post "sourced from Overclockers.co.uk" since I'm in Scotland. They only listed the CPUs today as tomorrow is the "on sale" date and you can't get them delievered until the 11th :)

just wanted to check and see if ya got your new computer yet im waiting to see what someone thinks before i pull the trigger on a new sandy bridge build.

Asus AI Suite II auto tuning - 4.3Ghz so far :)
Boot time is less than 20 second. Liking it so far. Now time to run through all the installing.

Edit : 4.4Ghz, 103 bclk, Memory at SPD but going to try it at the XMP overclock settings available.

Asus AI Suite II auto tuning - 4.3Ghz so far :)
Boot time is less than 20 second. Liking it so far. Now time to run through all the installing.

Edit : 4.4Ghz, 103 bclk, Memory at SPD but going to try it at the XMP overclock settings available.

That's great, within 100MHz of my maximum overclock on air with my i7 965EE ... right in line with the majority of reviews I've seen. When I enable XMP on my ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution it automatically bumps QPI voltage, curious if ASUS is making similar adjustments for the 2600K. Looking good :cool:

Spent more money o_0
Corsair H50 closed loop water cooler on it's way to help with the overclocking!
Will post results once it arrives.

I've got the H50 on the AMD 950BE, nice little unit ... second fan does help.

Thanks for that info Mizzou. I'll see how it does with the single fan then maybe pick up a custom one or two and replace the corsair one.

Back