Power supply fan stopped

I have a BFG 550 and the past couple weeks its been making a weird noise. I finally opened it up and the fan is not working. What should I do? I don't really want to replace the whole thing but I need my computer for school stuff. I'm not very technological so anything that has to be done I will likely have to have someone else do.

You could try replacing the fan but, frankly, I would just replace the whole PSU.

There are several good brands but I mostly use Silverstone or Corsair these days. As for which particular model that would depend on your PC specs as techsuitor already mentioned.

My computer won't turn on now. It begins startup but stops halfway through. Is there anything else you need?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/20/2011, 20:19:46
Machine name: PELUCHEUX-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-045
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: FX6800-01e
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 3062MB RAM
Page File: 3287MB used, 3049MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9442)

According to my textbooks, never open a power supply unit unless you are professionally trained in power supply management or you risk lethal electrocution. Warranty? Or maybe a computer repair shop can replace your fan.

According to my textbooks, never open a power supply unit unless you are professionally trained in power supply management or you risk lethal electrocution. Warranty? Or maybe a computer repair shop can replace your fan.
I also would not advice trying to replace the fan in the PSU. Capacitors can carry high voltages of electricity, and as I dont think they can kill you it wouldnt be pleasant or worth the time. The fans in PSUs are usually hard wired and do not have an easy to remove connector.

medium PSU

If you want to go a little cheaper Ultra is an okay brand...
check out this one

I would go with the second. This should be more than what you need... you can find cheaper ones on tigerdirect.com too if you absolutely cant afford 50 for a PSU on an $800 computer from Gateway... lol

its easy to replace a power supply. Remove 4 screws that disconnect the PSU inside the PC. These screws are usually on the back of the PC case.

Then remove the cables of course... try to remember where they were connected.

Put the new PSU in its place and make sure you plug all the cables back in. One for motherboard, one for CPU, and others for video card, hard drive, cd drive, floppy, whatever else you got.

Back