Powerdesk software

gbhall

I've been using this powerful Windows Explorer alternative for years, and have recently hit a problem with it that can possibly be solved by a smart bit of thinking.

First off, no I dont know who the developer is/was. At one time it was Vcom but it got sold and development stopped at v.8. I still use v.6 and there were no further updates. I hear bad things about v.8 into the bargain, and have no intention of trying it, because the problem is probably fundamental.

So this is the problem....it is not a functionality problem, it is odder than that.

On a multi-processor PC, it can quite randomly happen that starting the program actually starts TWO or more copies, and neither of them is prepared to take responsibility for doing anything ! There is no interface. If I run task manager and stop one copy, the other may or may not suddenly appear.

This problem is never seen on a single-processor PC, so my thought is simple - can I do anything on a multi-processor PC to ensure the application only tries to use one CPU core ??

This program now appears under the name Avanquest doing a search for it. I would suspect that your installation has been corrupted in some way for it to have developed errors when it is launched. I know of no way that you could possibly fix this software to only use one core.

Version 6 is available from this link as a trial version but is only listed for OS's up to XP, are you trying to run this on a later version of windows.

http://powerdesk.en.softonic.com/

Version 8 is available from here to buy or you can try the trial version. This is compatible with Windows 7 and will no doubt run OK with multy core processors.

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/software/powerdesk-pro-138876

I used Powerdesk Pro 6 for years with XP and it was very handy although there was a tendency for it to lock up. A short while ago I followed up a free offer for Powerdesk Pro 8 which is compatible with Windows 7. It turned out to be a bit of a con because the program key I was sent via email shows that it is a Trial installation. Hard to complain because I applied with a German language form.

Anyway, after installing it there was the need to update it a couple of times so I suspect initial problems pointed out by early adopters are ironed out. My desktop is Intel core 2 duo and Powerdesk 8 seems to be running OK. I'd say it's better and faster than version 6 but have made little use of it. I've only about 20 days left on the free trial. There's a neat program called Free Commander which I find does much the same job so I may revert to that when Powerdesk 8 stops working.

OK, best of luck, let us know how Free Commander works out just to rap up the thread.

Some progress here. This link shows that it is sometimes possible to set the 'processor affinity' of a running application. I'll be trying this, but it probably can't be linked to powerdesk on a permanent basis. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/pr...y-programmatically-in-a-multi-core-system/691

I do recall a previous example of processor control in connection with foxpro for Dos, which said something along the lines of 'not compatible with multi-processors, but here is a way to launch on a single processor', together with a C# utility and/or registry hack. Unfortunately I cannot as yet find that item again.

Got it it is called Imagecfg here http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/ImageCFG

I'll be trying that when I get on the multi-processor PC again.

Remember things have moved on since Powerdesk was first available. There are a number of good free alternatives to Windows Explorer. It's not worth sweating over Powerdesk.

Remember things have moved on since Powerdesk was first available. There are a number of good free alternatives to Windows Explorer. It's not worth sweating over Powerdesk.

You may be right. I will certainly check out free commander - not actually free as far as I can see though. Also some of the features of powerdesk are quite exceptional. Viewer, directory compare and synchronise, FTP, filters for directories and files are amongst the things I use all the time. Haven't used Explorer for years :haha:

Update on FreeCommander. I like it. It has all the features of PowerDesk that I actually use, with very few exceptions such as:- In powerDesk one can set an automatic filter so that the 'files' panel never shows Directories. Also a right-click on the column-headings of the files panel enables an instant choice of which columns to show and there are many more columns available.

On the plus side, there are also useful additions in FreeCommander, such as a more up-to-date file viewer and the in-built ability to alter creation and modified dates, or adjust mutliple file timestamps by a specified time value. I had to buy a special utility for that important job previously - I'll explain why if anyone is curious.

Goodbye powerdesk, it's been good, but there's a new top of the pile....omnia transuent

Back