Price cuts to GTX 580 hint at impending GTX 680 release

By Leeky
Mar 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia’s next generation flagship GPU is drawing ever closer to release. Epic Games showed off a demo of their Unreal Engine 3 tech using the Kepler-based hardware during the Game…

Read the whole story
  2. I keep hearing people raving about how the 600 series is going to be a HUGE improvement over the 500 series, but I also read that some people think that the upgrade is just going to be like every other series (200>400, 400>500).

How big will the performance upgrade really be?
  3. Wait and see!
    Only good reviews can prove how good/bad they are!
  4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I think the 256-bit memory bus is a distinct hint that this is a mid-range Kepler card... and $500 is a lot to ask for a mid-range card. Rumours are that the "real" 680 is coming later this year
  5. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 411   +42

It looks like April is going to be an exciting month for reviews :)
  6. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

Not really seen much in terms of price cuts but hopefully they'll make things look interesting again... wanting people to pay 350 quid for near 18 month old technology is kind of ridiculous...
  7. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 411   +42

U forgot to mention how much they cut the price by.
  8. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

Just looked it up, I can scarcely believe that the GTX 580 came out in Nov 2010 it really is nearly 18 months old and they still wanted to charge £350 (the cuts take it down to around 300 quid now). Shame that AMD didn't price their new 7 series more competitive but I guess they wanted to wait till Kepler hit so that they can look good.
  9. I know I'm not original, but it looked appropriate: Those who can, do. Those who can't, announce two months early.
  10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,788   +639

No.
    Rory Read's mandate is to make AMD a viable and profitable business. You don't bring in profit by continuing a value-for-money policy (which hasn't served AMD particularly well regarding overall profit). AMD, Nvidia et al will continue to price as high as the market will bear.

So those who really can't, announce two years early ?

Just as an aside; Who is announcing what two months early ?
  11. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

I'll take 2 x GT 680s 4GB versions please to replace my 2 x GTX580s 3Gb versions...waiting. 2560 x 1600 res ftw.

12. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 943   +82

So that demo from last year was on 3 GTX580's, and this is the same demo on just one Kepler-based product? That does sound interesting.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.