Primary hard disk drive 0 not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

Ok so im working on this dell computer for a friend, and it keeps giving this error.
I have replaced both he IDE cables, and i know the new hdd we put in it works because my computer can find it just fine and read from it and write to it. I made sure the power connection all work correctly.

so i finally got it past that first error of:

"primary hard disk drive 0 not found
primary hard disk drive 1 not found
secondary hard disk drive 0 not found
primary had disk drive 1 not found"

So i finally have it so that the bios find both the hdd, and the cd-rom drive. I just re-set the BIOS with the turn on Scroll Lock, Num Lock, & Caps lock and hit Alt+F, Alt+e, Alt+b. now im sitting at a screen that says

"Performing automatic IDE Configuration...
Primary Master: CD-Rom read
Secondary Master: IDE disk Drive

strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I have the dell re-install disk the cd rom drive, but it wont boot from it, and the hdd well is blank, all i have done to it is format it with NTSF on my pc.

So any idea's why im stuck at this, it sees the drives, but wont boot from anything....

thanks in advance

The dell install disk isn't the operating System it's just the drivers the OS would come on it's own disc labelled XP or whatever OS came with the system, you need to find that disc.

Have u set it to boot off of CD 1st in the BIOS?

Yep, I have the boot order set to Floppy Drive -> CD-Rom -> HDD.

Also i just check the ram by putting it in my PC and it booted just fine and recognize all the ram, but even with a stick of ram out of my PC in theirs it wont boot right. Same error as before.

So i know ram isn't the issue.

Right now i have 3 possibilities in mind:
1) Power source isnt putting out enough juice/or isn't putting it out to the HDD and CD rom drive correctly
2) Something could be wrong with the bios, it isnt telling it to try to boot from the cd?
3) Connections on the MoBo are buggered up....but im not very sure on that one since it reads the CD drive and HDD with the correct info about the HDD.

I finally found a power source I can use to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back