Problem: random reboot - ASUS P5E3 pro with Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAMs

Horace1970

Hello Everybody

My english is very simple, so sorry for it.

I have a ASUS P5E3 PRO motherboard with a Q9400 proc (Intel Core2 Quad 2.66 Socket775) and two Corsair XMS3 (TW3X4G1333C9) 2x2GBmemory moduls.

/PSU FSP 650W, original Intel cooler/

I use the PC with auto BIOS setting, all with default settings.
My PC (with Win7 OS) reboot randomly, not because the hard using just reboot randomly.
not depends for hard using or time, just reboot.
I probe it with hard process in same time: 3d render+movie+downloading+surfing+gaming in window and the machine are stable... for a random time long.

i read many forums in my native language and then are very little knowledge for this Motherboard. I have read, it's many problems with DDR3 modules and the ASUS board bios auto settings.

in my memory modules specification are these settings 1,5V 9-9-9-24
i set these numbers in BIOS and the memory voltage set 1,63 /i have read some forums rise the voltage +0,15V then the deafult /

The reboot are not so aggressive then earlier, but i leave the PC alone with a game window to test it, and many hours have i again reboot.

Have somebody advice for these memory modules for this motherboard?
some BIOS manual settings?

Thanks in advance

Hi, and welcome to Techspot.
Have you tested the RAM in isolation for stability ? (used Memtest86+).

If you haven't already, please browse >>this thread<< that I contributed to regarding the P5E3 Pro.
Obviously you already have the correct default timings- and the voltage (1.63v) is in line with what X48 boards usually run with.
Just so that I'm fully aware of your configuration, you state that you are using "two Corsair XMS3 (TW3X4G1333C9) 2x2GBmemory modules".
Does this mean you are running 2 modules ( one 4Gb kit) or 4 modules (two 4Gb kits for 8Gb total).

Bear in mind that if all four memory slots are being used then the motherboards northbridge voltage will likely to need to be increased. This is not guaranteed to produce stability on Asus X48 boards as certain memory can be problematic when using four modules. The Asus QVL (memory compatibility list) generally makes this clear.

Hello

I have wrong writing, sorry. I have only one.4Gb mem KIT= 2x2Gb modules(2 2Gb mem.pieces) i have not four modules, only two in mem.banks.

I have downloaded the softwares, i take a screenshot:
screenshot00000001.jpg

with these setting i leave in this night the PC alone with Memtest running
morning i read on monitor, the memtest has only 1 pass (no errors), with 27minute time ellapsed, i mean it has rebooted again.
I begin use the PC, and crashed(rebooted) very aggressive,,
crashed in the BIOS and crashed in Windows, but was half hour strong use while not crushed... :(

A system crash at BIOS level is unlikely to be RAM related.

Have you cleared CMOS (pulled the battery. Also a failing battery could cause shutdowns) and restarted with default BIOS settings?
and I presume you have the RAM seated in the black memory slots.
If so, then I would think that the problem lies either with:
Loose motherboard power connection (24 pin ATX, 4pin EPS12V. Check to see it the plugs are well seated. Also check to see that no individual pins are pushed out the back of the plugs)
The motherboard power circuit ( Hardest to check. Visual inspection could show a burnt motherboard trace or power phase choke. Also check and make sure that the motherboard heatsinks are secured to the board)
The power supply (test with multimeter/voltmeter and/or substitute a known working PSU)
The CPU ( bad cooler seating- you can check this by using CoreTemp or some similar monitoring utility)

Hi

Thanks for your advice,
i take out and see the battery (yapanese with 3,3 V - seen good)
clear with jumper the BIOS and waiting some minutes, press the front panel ON sometimes
i have looking all MB-PSU cables, the pins, i notice nothing wrong

Then back the jumper, back the battery, ON, BIOS settings and see wonder: the PC dont freeze (until now.... i hope it never freeze again :p)
in this night running MEMTEST 9 hours and pass 10 without memory errors

So thank your help thank you very much

P.s.: when freeze, "I'll be back" :)

Glad to be able to help.

Feel free to stop by anytime -you don't need to wait until/if the computer starts misfiring.

Back