Problem using LCD TV as a monitor

By camryn
Mar 20, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hope someone can help me with this...

I have a 32 inch lcd tv that I want to use occasionally as a monitor. The problem is that whenever I connect it using a VGA cable, there are lines going up and down the screen, making it difficult to use. I don't have a DVI output in my pc, only VGA. I tried changing the refresh rate but nothing happens. When I use my CRT monitor it's very clear, and I also tried using a VGA splitter now both the LCD and CRT have those lines going through. Could it be the cable that is the problem? The only difference I see on the cables is that the CRT monitor cable has 14 pins while the VGA cable I got for the LCD has 15 pins. Is that a problem? Is there anything I can do about this? Will removing the unused pin on the cable help with the clearing of the signal?

A solution to this will be very much appreciated...
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

make sure you are using the right resolution for your TV
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,887   +85

are you making the HD the primary monitor when using?
    also, have you tried a different aspect ratio?
  4. camryn

camryn Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yes I am using the right resolution for the tv. Also tried different aspect ratio but it still the same. I actually tried several resolutions and aspect ratio's and the lines are still there. I'm beginning to think the vga cable may be the problem. Is there anything I can do to the cable to check? Without buying a new one...
  5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,816   +651

This might seem like an obvious question, but is your LCD panel capable of receiving an analog VGA signal ? If it is then it should have a VGA socket (blue (usually) 15 pin). From the way you worded your question I assume that the LCD has DVI (and possibly HDMI) connection only.

If not then you'll most likely need an active adapter/converter like this (no widescreen support, crappy resolutions), or invest in a graphics card with DVI (or HDMI if supported by the LCD) out.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.