Problem using LCD TV as a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can help me with this...

I have a 32 inch lcd tv that I want to use occasionally as a monitor. The problem is that whenever I connect it using a VGA cable, there are lines going up and down the screen, making it difficult to use. I don't have a DVI output in my pc, only VGA. I tried changing the refresh rate but nothing happens. When I use my CRT monitor it's very clear, and I also tried using a VGA splitter now both the LCD and CRT have those lines going through. Could it be the cable that is the problem? The only difference I see on the cables is that the CRT monitor cable has 14 pins while the VGA cable I got for the LCD has 15 pins. Is that a problem? Is there anything I can do about this? Will removing the unused pin on the cable help with the clearing of the signal?

A solution to this will be very much appreciated...

are you making the HD the primary monitor when using?
also, have you tried a different aspect ratio?

Yes I am using the right resolution for the tv. Also tried different aspect ratio but it still the same. I actually tried several resolutions and aspect ratio's and the lines are still there. I'm beginning to think the vga cable may be the problem. Is there anything I can do to the cable to check? Without buying a new one...

This might seem like an obvious question, but is your LCD panel capable of receiving an analog VGA signal ? If it is then it should have a VGA socket (blue (usually) 15 pin). From the way you worded your question I assume that the LCD has DVI (and possibly HDMI) connection only.

If not then you'll most likely need an active adapter/converter like this (no widescreen support, crappy resolutions), or invest in a graphics card with DVI (or HDMI if supported by the LCD) out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back