Problem with a new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephyvaline

Okay, heres the deal, a friend ordered some stuff off of tigerdirect, and I assembled it for him, everything seems to be in order, problem at hand is, when i power on, it powers on for like, a split second, then is off.
I double checked the processor fan/heatsink to make sure that is on straight/tight, and the power switch connectors, i dont know what the problem is.

The build consists of...
Sapphire Radeon X700PRO 256MB PCIe
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Winchester Core Socket 939 CPU
Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 Motherboard
Diablo ATX Case with 450 watt (D15-1010 )
Maxtor 80GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-133
Kingston 512MB ECC Registered PC3200 DDR(x2 = 1 gig)

Besides the main power connector, did you attach the 12v ATX (small 2X2 square) connector to the motherboard?

I attached it, next to the main power supply. It has a slot for it there ,and an identical slot just below the power supply(which the cable won't reach to.)

hmm, something seems off with the power supply. Is the primary power connection 20 pin or 24pin?
The power supply itself probably has (or perhaps should have) TWO 4-pin plugs. Some power supplies have a 20pin connection with a 4-pin connection to "extend" it for 24-pin motherboards. If you have a 20pin mobo, the extension piece is just left hanging there, don't use it.
The power supply should have a completely separate 4-pin plug that plugs into a 4pin connector on the motherboard which, most of the time, is NOT right next to the 20pin plug.
There is no reason why the 4pin plug from the power supply should not reach the 4 pin plug on the motherboard. However if there is a 4pin "extender" plug I can see THAT one not reaching, as it's only supposed to go as far as the main 20pin plug.

All in all, maybe you don't have the right power supply to handle this mobo?

And make sure your video card has it's power plugged in, if it uses one.

make any sense?

Yes, I agree with Vigilante. I looked up a picture of your motherboard. The 12V ATX power connector we're referring to is located in the upper left corner of the motherboard (in its mounted position) which would place it below the psu. It is a white, square connector, just behind the external I/O connectors. If you can't get a power connector to it, I'd say that is the cause of your problem.

okay, i the mobo has 24 pins on the power connector, and the 12v 4 slot thing on the top lefthand portion. The power supply has a 20 pin connector, with a clip on that makes it 24 pins, and chained from that is a 4 pin thing sized and slotted for the one in the uppter left. Problem at hand is that with the clip on attached, the chained 4 slot will not reach the 12v in the top left, so do i just have to find a power supply with a connector thats got longer wires, or just plug in the 20 slots, and the 12v?

You have some alternatives to replacing the power supply. The easiest would be to get an adapter to convert a standard 12V molex to the 12V ATX connector. Or you might be able to find an extension for the 4 pin connector that's too short. There are websites that specialize in hard to find PC cables and adapters.

You could even get a 20 pin to 24 pin adaptor. That would free the clipped 4 pin connector and maybe the chained connector will reach. Anyway, the point is you don't have to get another power supply.

I agree with mailpup to get an adapter to convert a 12V molex to the 4 pin. You can probably find one at a local shop.

I would also read in the motherboard manual, it will say what kind of power supply you need. There are some fancy designations to keep in mind. Such as "ATX12V" or even just "P4". I would still double check the manual and make sure the PS is up to snuff. A 64bit system using a 24pin plus PLUS even more with another 4pin, is pretty hefty. A came-with-the-case PS is usualy not strong enough (or reliable enough) in my humble opinion. Those case PS's you can get for $7 online :) But I think yours is better so, just something to think about.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back