Problem with ATI Radeon 9800 pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_T

Hello,

I recently recieved my PC back from the shop, because it had had a virus. They formatted the hard drive and set it back up for me so I could play my games (eg. put the latest catalyst 6.9 drivers and directX 9.0c on). However after installing games which previously ran on my computer they just crash at startup.

Even the ATI control center doesn't work properly (eg. when trying to configure the 3D settings the 3D preview does not appear and an this message appears "Windowed Preview Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have ran dxdiag and everything is working fine.

My system is:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.2ghz (I think... not sure on exact clock speed)
1GB RAM (not sure what kind)
ATI Radeon 9800PRO graphics card
Windows XP Service pack 2 with .net framework 2.0

Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Does your computer have an on-board graphics card? The reason I ask is maybe when they reformatted they installed drivers for that GPU. If that happened you'd need to uninstall all of those drivers. If that's not the case I would suggest (if you haven't already done it) uninstalling all ati related software and drivers and re-installing catalyst 6.9 It seems to be a software-related issue so possibly something was installed incorrectly.

If that doesn't work then possibly resort back to an older driver that you know for sure worked when you originally were gaming.

Thanks for the help, I uninstalled the drivers and put some new ones on omega drivers to be exact. And now, everything works!

Thank you again Shoupie080

Shoupie080 said:
Does your computer have an on-board graphics card? The reason I ask is maybe when they reformatted they installed drivers for that GPU. If that happened you'd need to uninstall all of those drivers. If that's not the case I would suggest (if you haven't already done it) uninstalling all ati related software and drivers and re-installing catalyst 6.9 It seems to be a software-related issue so possibly something was installed incorrectly.

If that doesn't work then possibly resort back to an older driver that you know for sure worked when you originally were gaming.

The Ati Radeon 9800 is not an integrated graphics card.

I think he was asking if the shop had installed the drivers for the 9800PRO AND the integrated graphics card as well. If both sets were installed, it could cause some problems.

I think he was asking if the shop had installed the drivers for the 9800PRO AND the integrated graphics card as well. If both sets were installed, it could cause some problems.

Metal is correct

The Metal always tells... :) Lol I'm jk. Anyway make sure that only the ATI drivers are installed and not the integrated. Also... lots of people, myself included have had problems with Radeon 9800PROs. I have begun to think that most of them were made defectively from the factory and are really a case of DoA (Dead on Arrival) except that they usually don't "die" until a few months down the road.

Maybe the Guy at the store took ur GFX Card and shoved a diff one in the *** of the case and installed ATI Drivers on it??
believe that sum bastards wud do that.

one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back