Problem with Audio Controller - No Sound!! :(

By stitchgal
Nov 17, 2006
  1. Hi, I know there's lotsa similar qns around and I've tried everything I could but am still confused why its not working. Any kind soul around who is able to help?

I don't know what happened to computer, the sound controller is perfectly fine until 2 days ago, There is no sound coming out from the speaker except the error beep sound -.-'' I know it has nothing to do with the speakers 'cos I've switched speakers and still I have no sound coming out.

Whenever I've restarted the comp, there'll be an icon that said it had discovered a new hardware and asked me to install it. But I have no audio CD to go with it... I have no idea whats the manufacturer of the sound card cos this is a DIY computer.

Under my 'Device Manager -> Sound, Video, Game Controllers', there is a yellow exclamation mark next to 'C-Media AC97 Audio Device'.

Below is an information of the system according to Belarc Advisor :

Standard floppy disk controller
    NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

C-Media AC97 Audio Device

80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    40.69 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax [CD-ROM drive]

ST3802110A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5LR6R7NC, rev 3.AAJ, SMART Status: Healthy

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 52.43 GB 31.87 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 27.60 GB 8.82 GB free

NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
    Dhcp Server: none responded
    Physical Address:
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Auto IP Address:
    Dhcp Server:
    Physical Address:

Networking Dns Server:

Main Circuit Board

Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/29/2004

Pls help!!! Thanks!
  2. Op2

Op2 TS Rookie Posts: 86

3. stitchgal

stitchgal TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi thanks, but I've encountered a problem during installation...

A window popped up and states the software that I'm installing is not compatible with Microsoft XP and advised me not to continue with the installation. My question is, should I go ahead?

If I don't install this driver, what are the other compatible driver available for installation?

The audio problem is driving me crazy :\
  4. Op2

Yes, you surely should go ahead.

And of course, turn off the pop-up from Windows, we will deal with it later.

After you install the driver, restart.

Now, right click on My Computer ----> Manage ----> Device Manager ----> Display Adapters ----> right click on the old driver and disable it. The windows warning pop-ups won't appear anymore.

Just NEVER install the thing Windows say you should in this problem. If you do, reinstall it.

5. stitchgal

stitchgal TS Rookie Topic Starter

woohoo.... the sound is BACK!!!

I appreciate all your help!

Thank you soooo much!!! =)
  6. Op2

No problem.

People helped me, I helped you, and you will help someone else in the same situation.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.