Problem with external HDD

Hi everyone!

I'm using a 2TB WD My Passport external HDD. It was working fine, until last month. Suddenly, the HDD never showed up on my computer, and only the virtual cd (the password one) drive used to show up, and the loading bar, just used to go on and on, and explorer.exe would hang, until I remove the drive. I had given up hopes on it, and just let it go. Didn't touch the HDD for around 20 days. Yesterday, I randomly just connected it again, and the drive started working normally, with ALL my data intact. After I disconnected it, and tried to plug it back, it didn't work, and it got back to the same problem. Now, since I know that the data is fully intact, I really don't want to format the drive. And yes, the disk is recognized and is visible in device manager. Please help me out, with this.

Thanks a lot, in advance!

I would suggest you to do a back up copy of your important files from that drive and try running WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool to check and fix possible error on your drive.

I tried Data lifeguard, but it says that there are too many bad sectors. I tried HDD Regenerator too, but it tells me that MBR is damaged. I have no clue how to backup, because the hdd isn't opening at all

I tried Data lifeguard, but it says that there are too many bad sectors. I tried HDD Regenerator too, but it tells me that MBR is damaged. I have no clue how to backup, because the hdd isn't opening at all

That doesn't sounds good. It just simply implies that your drive is about to fail. Try to scan your drive with MHDD, it might be able to re map those bad sectors of your drive. Once you can access your drive then do immediate back up of your files.

That doesn't sounds good. It just simply implies that your drive is about to fail. Try to scan your drive with MHDD, it might be able to re map those bad sectors of your drive. Once you can access your drive then do immediate back up of your files.
I have one more HDD of the same kind. Would it be possible for me to copy the MBR of that drive to this drive? Will it atleast let me open the HDD so I can back up?

Back