Problem with external USB disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all,
I recently purchased an external 80 GB USB 2.0 disk drive to attach to my notebook under Windows XP Pro.
I had no problem to have it recognized by XP and partition it, although only FAT32 partitioning works successfully. The drive has no power on/off switch and is powered by an external adapter which I simply can plug or unplug.
The problem is that the disk will work correctly as long as I do not power it off (even when the notebook has been shutdown).
In that case, it will no longer be recognized by XP unless I unplug / plug the adapter cord, and then all partitions will be absolutely ruined...
I tried converting partitions from FAT32 to NTFS, but it does not bring any improvement.
This makes me crazy ! I could find no solution so far. Any help would be most welcome.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. The brand is "DIGITUS". I purchased the disk (brand new) on an internet auction site.
When I try to format a partition into NTFS mode, the process goes to a 100% but finally I get a message telling me that formatting could not complete successfully.
I can format in FAT32 mode, then convert successfully to NTFS, but it does not bring any good.
The disk and its partitions can be viewed in hidden periphs, but there is no way to delete or deactivate them (under Win XP Pro). They are always there and visible.
Maybe the best solution is to throw the bloody thing to the trash bin...
Cheers, Claude. :confused:

Well this could solve the issue. :D
You can 1st contact Digitus per phone or email.
You have to test the device on another PC.
There could be an incompatibility issue between the drive in the case and the Digitus case. Did you put the drive in the case yourself? What drive is it?
Don't open it if you are not sure about warranty issues.
You could use another program to format the drive in ntfs

:suspiciou
Hi,
the disk was delivered in an original DIGITUS packaging, complete with its case and stand.
After the first problems, I sent it back to the seller (a hardware wholesaler) who reformatted it nicely for me in FAT32, telling me that NTFS is inappropriate for this type of disk under USB support.
The real problem is that I could use it if it remained constantly running, which I am reluctant to do for security and power consumption reasons.
The point is that, once powered off, it will never be recovered properly by XP.
I know the problem is tough ! I raised the issue on other forums but never got a successful solution. Many thanks for the help anyway - Claude

Hi,
unfortunately, my PC is a notebook and there is no way to store the disk internally.
Still many thanks for the care and have a nice weekend - Claude

Hi,
although Guiness is not in my culture (I am French, nobody's perfect...) I appreciate your kind suggestion. Of course, I tried every possible procedure, including the one you suggest. Unfortunately, when I power off the disk, even after shutting down the laptop, I will always have to power it off / off to be detected, and files will be ruined ! Simply crazy.
Thanks for your help - Claude

Did you check the jumper-settings on the back of that HD? Perhaps it needs to be set to Master instead of Slave or CableSelect?

Try to borrow someone's powered USB2-hub, perhaps your laptop does not supply enough power itself?

Hi,
the HD has its own power supply (an adapter that I must unplug / plug to have the disk acknowledeged by XP, as I mentioned in my previous messages). It's specifically set to be used as an external unit with a notebook (hence the stand supplied with it). I am quite incompetent anyway to open the case and play with jumpers, if any...
My notebook has only USB 1.1 built in, but I purchased a USB 2.0 Cardbus PCMCIA card (which works perfectly) to connect the disk on. Unfortunately, this was not the final solution.
BTW, why can I not delete in XP the hidden units associated to the disk and its partitions ?
Many thanks for your kind support.
Lovely day for a glass of Bordeaux !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back